Universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit

robinhood8
robinhood8 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
edited October 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Good morning everyone or should I say afternoon I have been working for 35 years and now I have to give up work due to ill health arthritis CP I've l heard so many bad story in the newspaper about people being on UC been in debt poverty can't manage and now I have to go down this road after working so long I'm completely lost I have my appointment at the Jobcentre regarding universal credit happy death of any advice thank you
Jacqueline

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Universal credit is a means tested benefit. If you've been working and paid enough national insurance contributions in the last 2 tax years and your area is a full UC area then you should claim New style contributions based ESA and not UC.

Do you live with a partner that works and do you currently rent your home? if you rent your home do you claim housing benefit?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • robinhood8
    What would I do Without You poppy I don't live with my partner I have an appointment on Thursday 18th of October thank you so much for your advice you're a star x
  • poppy123456
    Happy to help! Do you claiming housing benefit at the moment?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • robinhood8
    I get the standard daily living allowance can I get some money knocked off for my rent and council tax
  • poppy123456
    How much you can claim for that will depend on circumstances. Whether you live in a privately rented house or social housing.
  • robinhood8
    I live in a council flat
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    You are a star @poppy123456 - we appreciate your support so much! :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    Thank you @Sam_Scope! I'm always happy to help anyone that needs it! :)
  • poppy123456
    @robinhood8 put your details into a benefits calculator and it will tell you how much you can claim. They are usually fairly accurate if all your details are put in correctly. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

As you're claiming UC don't forget to take your tenancy agreement into your local job centre, otherwise you won't be able to claim the housing element of UC. Any housing benefit you currently claim will stop 2 weeks after you apply for UC. It will then be paid as part of UC providing you take your tenancy agreement in as proof. Good luck.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.