PIP back- dated payments? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP back- dated payments?

profjohn
profjohn Community member Posts: 2 Listener
LA        2PIUOP   conversion I just just had success       scoring   21 points on mobility & 19 on daily living so thankfiully I get enhanced  in both     categories.[ such as relief1] . I applied back in April 2018  but  owing to Capita  disregarding my   stated need for home  visit for Face2Face and in one instance  CAPITA   summoned me to a Face2Face with the   summons   letter arriving    3 weeks after  scheduled interview date. so   even though I applied in  April my    assessment was only in October. My question is:  now, finally  I have    successfully been awarded PIP do I have   any  grounds for claiming   back-dated payments for  April - to October [ my assessor's  report  stated  that  my condition was unlikely to change and would not require reassessment.  therefore  it  seams likely that  had I been assessed in a timely  fashion I would have been awarded  enhanced  mobility     in   early 2018.   thanks for any thoughts  :-)

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, someone will correct me if I am wrong. But your award payments will be given in your award notification letter and any arrears amounts will be noted. As for the delay for your F2F acessment delaying your award being given is a question you may have to take up with DWP, but if I am correct in thinking that you back payments will go back to,nearly your application date. Keep us updated and posting.
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    If you still have the original form from when you applied for PIP, our a copy, there should be a date for when the application was valid from. If you were awarded Enhanced and. Mobility, it is effective from that date. Back payment will be made to that date  Only proviso, if you were on DLA prior to receiving the PIP award, then backdated payment will be made only to the date you transferred from one to the other. However, if you were awarded a higher amount of PIP, then the enhanced and mobility you should receive the difference between DLA and PIP, if that makes sense? Further, if CAPITA 's failures involved you in any further expense  you can reclaim that, via the DWP. CAPITA will fob you off. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
     However, if you were awarded a higher amount of PIP, then the enhanced and mobility you should receive the difference between DLA and PIP, if that makes sense?
    I'm sorry but that's not correct. When transferring from DLA to PIP there's no backdated money, even if the PIP award is higher than the DLA award was. PIP starts 4 weeks after the DLA ends.

Of course if you're not transferring from DLA and this is the first PIP claim then money is backdated to the day you rang to start your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.