SDR Surgery in UK — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SDR Surgery in UK

Options
albalushi
albalushi Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited September 2018 in Cerebral palsy
Pls I'm looking for the best center or hospital or doctor performing the SDR surgery in UK and how much that will cost for private patients (oversees) as i have my son 5 years old and he is eligible for SDR as confirmed in London. 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @albalushi, here is some information that I have found about SDR. I hope this helps :)
    Scope

• spyke
    spyke Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi Albalushi

My daughter had SDR in Leeds a few of years ago when she was 5, the team there are fantastic and reassuring, Dr Goodden also works in London.

contacts below  for his sectary

[email address removed by moderator]

Mr John Goodden
    Consultant Neurosurgeon (Adult & Paediatric), Leeds General InfirmaryJoint Clinical Lead of North East Paediatric Neuroscience Network

Good Luck. Steve

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community, @spyke
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi 

You could contact the UK embassy in your country. There are numerous "mutual arrangements" between the UK and counties across the world, to improve child healthcare.

They would also link you to the NHS in England.

Did the Dr you saw in London not recommend where to have the operation in England?
  • albalushi
    albalushi Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thanks altas46 for your comments and advise. In regard of London the only constraint we felt is the cost which is almost 40% extra than others around the UK. 
    I will approach the UK embassy in Oman and it may help our situation. 

thanks 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

There are about six hospitals in England, that carry out this surgery, most will be cheaper than a London hospital.

There may be informal links to Oman, as many Dr's will have trained in UK, before returning home. I would try speaking to Surgoens in Oman, if they trained in UK.

Best wishes to you and your family.
  • spyke
    spyke Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options

Albalushi

We had the SDR operation done through private medical, the total end price was around 70,000 GBP plus the extra cost of travel and renting a cottage for a month. not the cheapest of treatments, but the tension release in her lower legs was well worth the expense and worry.

Steve

Brightness