Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

ESA error: How do you know if you're entitled?

melbell53melbell53 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all on this  esa  error  that’s come out ‘ how do you know if you are one  that’s  entitled  To backdate I have been on esa since 4/5years from having fibromyalgia /  depression . 

Replies

• steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @melbell53

Good Evening & Welcome to our Community.

Here’s some info for you below on the “esa error”

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/dwp-you-owed-up-20000-15294015.amp

Please please let me know if I can help you further???

• Liam_AlumniLiam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,113 Pioneering
    Hi @melbell53,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

The Government has published a document on the ESA underpayments which might be of interest to you. They say that they are "now paying arrears to those affected back to their date of conversion to ESA".
    "The Department is in the process of reviewing around 570,000 ESA cases that could be affected. It expects to complete the checking of 320,000 cases during 2018/19. The additional 250,000 cases, brought into scope by the Secretary ofState’s announcement in July 2018 to pay all cases back to the point of conversion, are planned to be completed by the end of 2019."

I hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions!

Liam
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,966 Disability Gamechanger
    If you transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA then DWP will contact you sometime in the future, if you're not then you won't be one of those whose owed money.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.