The dwp how you don’t stand a chance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The dwp how you don’t stand a chance

Bomf
Bomf Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I recently had my pip claim denied when I phoned them and asked who they wrote to or called about my condition I was told it was confidential so I pressed a little harder and was told they would have wrote to them if you were in hospital so I said to them you had no interest in contacting any one and after a while they admitted that they don’t contact anyone and you have to send your own proof in they want you to believe you don’t have a case when you probably do I’m at tribunal stage now my advice is don’t let rejection put you of tribunal is the only way you will get it

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bomf welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear what has happened. Please let us know if you need any help preparing for your tribunal! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • laz
    laz Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    good luck at your tribunal! Laz. 
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Bomf,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here. :)

Best of luck with your tribunal - do let us know how it goes!
    Liam
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Bomf said:
    I’m at tribunal stage now my advice is don’t let rejection put you of tribunal is the only way you will get it
    It really depends on the strength of character and self will of the claimant. Not all claimants have that. I agree going to a Tribunal is a good idea, but don't make it an absolute requirement. Claimants have to decide for themselves if they are capable of that action.
  • Bomf
    I completely agree it’s made me stressed and even throw up during the process I even wondered if it’s worth all the agro I don’t cope with stress very well so Don’t make yourself ill over it but know your rights to be heard fairly if you are up to it 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    You never know if you don’t try but of course only you will know if it’s worth it. I’m lucky I had support. I just went into auto pilot 
  • judy21
    judy21 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    My pip got refused I didn’t even get one point and she made all her assembly whilst I was sat on
    a
    sofa 
  • Bomf
    I didn’t get one point either and the same on the mandatory so I decided to gather any evidence I could and have a paper tribunal not well enough to attend 
  • judy21
    Think it’s terrible that you have to go through all this doesit go against you if you don’t attend
  • Bomf
    I’ve been told you’re more likely to get it if you attend but I’m just taking a chance
  • Yadnad
    You never know if you don’t try but of course only you will know if it’s worth it. I’m lucky I had support. I just went into auto pilot 
    Yes you were lucky. Many have never had any help from the start of the claiming process - they have just muddled through the best way they can hoping that they have done everything right.
  • judy21
    I have appealed will have to wait and see I guess 
  • debbiedo49
    @Yadnad once again the voice of doom maybe we should all just give up and not even try and just let the DWP and tories win,. At every turn you are putting people off. Why are you on this forum ?
  • debbiedo49
    I wasn't going to go either but due to the advice and support on here I went for it. I think tribunals are different as they are independent. They try to put you at ease so don't worry about the stress. It's not as bad as the assessment. Just prepare for it. Good luck
  • debbiedo49
    I wasn't going to go either but due to the advice and support on here I went for it. I think tribunals are different as they are independent. They try to put you at ease so don't worry about the stress. It's not as bad as the assessment. Just prepare for it. Good luck
  • Yadnad
    @Yadnad once again the voice of doom maybe we should all just give up and not even try and just let the DWP and tories win,. At every turn you are putting people off. Why are you on this forum ?
    To help! Surely it is better to give the good news as well as the bad - yes?

I read on nearly every thread advice telling posters that they must get help from the likes of the CAB or Welfare Rights. that's good, but how do you think a poster would feel if they can't access that help? Deflated I would expect in that they might as well give up there and then as without that level of help they probably haven't got a chance in hell!

I point out that they are not alone, many, who have never filled in a PIP claim form before do actually try their best. They may make mistakes or even give the DWP good reason, but for the wrong reasons to keep on re-assessing them. They don't need to worry if they have no idea what they are doing or don't handle the face to face assessment in the right manner or fail to provide any evidence - they try.

Unfortunately the sad fact is that that sector of society will probably fail in their attempt in making a claim - but at least they have tried.

Don't make people worry if they have no one to assist them - they are not alone, they are the unlucky ones, and are with others in the same boat.

• Yadnad
    I agree and I am not suggesting that people give up at the first hurdle. I won't reiterate my experiences of these agencies, but I have tried everyone in the area.
    Some are so bad that I had to cover up their inadequacies at a Tribunal when the judge asked me who on earth had filled out the claim form.

Then I have stood in the pouring rain for an hour one morning outside the CAB office waiting to see someone only to be told that it was the first 6 that would be allowed in - come back and try again tomorrow I was told. 

I did go back and was allowed in the following day. They took my name and the reason for my visit and was tole that someone would be in contact to get me to come back - I never heard anything more from them.

So yes try to get help but don't be down  hearted if you fail to get it.
  • debbiedo49
    @Yadnad thanks to Scope I found out that there’s are also other ways to get help with the pip process or other DWP processes through using the internet and accessing sites that provide the info. That can make a big difference. Also through my own experience I know that there are charitable organisations that can help within local areas as people are struggling with the process and may need specific support such as mental health like myself. Not everyone knows about that and I try to promote it to help others. Both of these things can be very helpful. My dad passed away suddenly in May and I had my pip tribunal in June. Do I bring that up every time I talk about my experience? No I do not. Scope was there for me when I needed it and that’s all people need to know. You can succeed if you get help from Scope and other sites with or without other physical representation. It is not helpful to encourage folks to give up when they just feel like giving up. With a little encouragement folks can feel uplifted and find the strength to carrying on. 
  • Yadnad
    edited November 2022
    @Yadnad thanks to Scope I found out that there’s are also other ways to get help with the pip process or other DWP processes through using the internet and accessing sites that provide the info. That can make a big difference. Also through my own experience I know that there are charitable organisations that can help within local areas as people are struggling with the process and may need specific support such as mental health like myself. Not everyone knows about that and I try to promote it to help others. Both of these things can be very helpful. My dad passed away suddenly in May and I had my pip tribunal in June. Do I bring that up every time I talk about my experience? No I do not. Scope was there for me when I needed it and that’s all people need to know. You can succeed if you get help from Scope and other sites with or without other physical representation. It is not helpful to encourage folks to give up when they just feel like giving up. With a little encouragement folks can feel uplifted and find the strength to carrying on. 
    And you trust websites to give factually correct information? Then don't bother with the CAB one for instance. Twice in the past few weeks advice offered is found to be at best misleading and at worst dangerous.

And as Mike [removed by moderator] and others say at regular intervals - getting good face to face advice is the best way to deal with problems.
  • debbiedo49
    @Yadnad honestly you could start an argument in an empty room. Scope mentions web sites regularly on here for different benefits. Stop making this all about your experience please

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.