I have a carer coming in whom claims carers allowance. Has this under payment effected me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have a carer coming in whom claims carers allowance. Has this under payment effected me?

Options
Dennis2
Dennis2 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I was on Incapacity and DLA Middle/High my Health got worse I get ESA/PIP High Rate. I have a carer coming in whom claims carers allowance. Has this under payment effected me?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dennis2 welcome to the community!

I am unsure however there are very knowledgeable members in the community who will be in contact with you soon to advise.

Please let us know if you need any further help! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Dennis2
    Options
    Thankyou Amy x
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi @Dennis2,

Is the underpayment you mention regarding the recent ESA underpayments that were announced recently?

If so, the Government has published a document on the ESA underpayments which might be of interest to you. They say:
    "Largely between January 2011 and October 2014 some people receiving Incapacity Benefit and Severe Disablement Allowance had their claims converted to contributory ESA. However, the possibility of whether they may also have been entitled to income-related ESA was not considered for all cases. This means they may have missed out on the payment of premiums, such as the Enhanced Disability Premium."

I hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions!

Liam
  • Dennis2
    Options
    Thankyou I really don't know I am so poorly - just seen the news - how would one check or do they do it Automatically? Thankyou
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Based on that information it's difficult to advise. It totally depends on your circumstances. Living with a partner that works, capital/savings and other household income (not including what you stated above) how much ESA you receive, is it a single or joint claim? DWP will contact you if they think you maybe affected. Unfortunately, your poor health makes no difference to this underpayment that has affected 1000's of people.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Dennis2, in terms of the backdating of ESA, DWP are reviewing cases and it looks like they will contact you if a back payment is due. 
    Liam
  • Dennis2
    Options
    Oh thanks I have only had a carer approx 2 years

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.