ESA claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA claim

Options
SkinEdz
SkinEdz Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi new to the site just wondering if anyone has had any success with the ESA claim i filled mine in 13weeks ago and still not heard from the department not even to say they had received my completed form any information would be great I'm not a telephone chat type of person so don't want to ring them to be told to press key after key 
  TIA

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, people have been successful and some have received their backdated money. Whether you'll be successful totally depends on your circumstances but it can take quite some time for DWP to assess those that are or maybe affected because the backlogs are huge. Hopefully you'll hear something soon. It maybe worth ringing them to check they received your form, i know the queues are long.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Boderw
    Boderw Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    Hi just received a backpayment from ESA on behalf of my brother. unsure if this is a good thing as with his savings it puts him in excess of £20000 that will probably mean paying for his own rent to local authority. Give with one hand take back with the other springs to mind.
    Some say it’s classed as a disregard some say it’s a change in circumstances ?
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Options
    Yes gobbledygook @Boderw But it's okay and disregarded for the first year and then it's taken as over the allowed thresh hold. So if he can get it under the maximum allowance you will be ok.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• poppy123456
    Options
    As stated, it's disregarded for 1 year but do they know the amount of savings he had before he received the backdated money? Savings over £6,000 affect means tested benefits £1 for every £250 over that amount.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Boderw
    Options
    Hi Poppy,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Can I ask your advice and interpretation of present situation regarding his ESA allowance?
    Basically, He is on Contribution related ESA and a full weekly breakdown is as follows:-
    Basic Contribution related ESA £73.10
    ESA Transitional Addition £1.30
    ESA Support Related Component £37.65
    While we are aware that his PIP is not means tested we are in so much confusion regarding the savings limit. Some say contibrution related ESA is not savings based providing no other form of income. He recently declared to me he had £13000 approx in savings (suffers from lack of mental capacity) but has yesterday received another £7000 from ESA presumably from Backpayment after filling out an ESA3 form ?Bringing saving up to £20000
    Some sources say the payment of £7000 is held as disregard for 12months?
    Personally at a loss with conflicts in various sources of information.
    We would really appreciate if you please clarify from a legal perspective the amount of savings allowed and would the £7000 backpayment be held in disregard for 52 weeks.
    Thanks.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I did answer this correctly yesterday so unsure why you're asking the same question again.

He was previously claiming just Contributions based ESA and savings/capital or other income are counted for this,  BUT now that's different and he's now claiming Contributions based with an Income Related top up because he's been assessed for the top up, been paid backdated money and now his ESA payments will increase weekly. The income related top up is means tested and savings/capital/household income will counted for just the top up part of his claim.

The backdated money is disregarded for 52 weeks even though it's increased his saving to more than £16000, it's still disregarding £7000 of those savings.

As stated yesterday if he's claiming housing benefit he does need to make sure that his local council are aware of the £13000 savings he had before he had the backdated money because this will affect any housing benefit and council tax reduction he's entitled to.
  • Boderw
    Options
    Hi Poppy,
    Really do appreciate your reply. We did notify Housing Benefit and no change at the £13000 declared. 
    We do grasp now ?that the backdated pay of £7000 is held in disregard.
    Just needed clarification that on ESA contibrution the amount of savings he’s allowed some say £6000 some say contibrution based ESA savings don’t count unless there is another form of income ie pension etc.
    Declared the last 5 years bank statements etc both to Housing Benefit and with ESA3 application. So I presume everything is above board but taking the state of DWP anything could happen.
    Once again thanks ? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.