GP tells me I have a major problem and suggests a resource who say - too big a problem for us!! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

GP tells me I have a major problem and suggests a resource who say - too big a problem for us!!

Options
Yadnad
Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
Well my wife has had enough of my issues. I keep telling her that according to the DWP I don't have any issues that are so bad that they impact on my life, because if they did then I would have had a PIP award earlier this year. Her reply - Rubbish!!
So after being dragged to the GP last week and her telling him what I am like, he suggested a short course of talking therapy - my thoughts? who does he think he is kidding.

Anyhow she follows his advice and contacts the recommended agency who this morning telephoned me and spent over an hour going through question after question using the scale 1 to 8. 

He told me that he would have to consult with his clinical lead as I did not fit their 8 week process - no surprise there I thought.
Well he was back on the phone an hour ago and told me that he could not help - I needed some serious and in depth work - he kept asking if I would assure him that I am not about to top myself.

So he suggested MIND would help to which I said I'll believe that when it happens.

Has anybody had extensive and invasive counselling for traumatic issues and brain damage and if so with whom?
Were they any good?

I'm very sceptical of MIND as when the NHS closed down the local mental health day service and treatment centre they said that treatment would continue within the community and MIND would also be involved. That was in 2002 - and since then I have not heard from anybody including MIND.

Comments

• Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Options
    Firstly, is there any chance you were in the forces? If so have you been diagnosed as suffering from PTSD? To add  PTSD is not just associated with being in the Armed Forces, any traumatic issue in earlier life can result in PTSD. Talking therapy is fine  providing the person you are 'venting your spleen' upon understands your needs and issues. Please do not get into the 'blame culture', it just exacerbates the issues that you are dealing with. Good luck  

• topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    Options
    sorry to hear that @yadnad , yes they do take there time in contacting people .
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Firstly, is there any chance you were in the forces? If so have you been diagnosed as suffering from PTSD? To add  PTSD is not just associated with being in the Armed Forces, any traumatic issue in earlier life can result in PTSD. Talking therapy is fine  providing the person you are 'venting your spleen' upon understands your needs and issues. Please do not get into the 'blame culture', it just exacerbates the issues that you are dealing with. Good luck  

Yes I was, way back in the late 60's and 70's. But the PTSD I have has nothing to do with the action I saw then in NI. It all relates to getting myself shot and a split skull whilst trying to apprehend two armed robbers in South East London in the mid 90's. Yes I am aware that because of my forces training it was an automatic response to use speed, aggression and surprise to attack them first.

Unfortunately I came off the worst for it. I was air lifted to hospital. Because of my distaste for hospitals, I had a friend come over to bring me some clothes as mine had been cut off me and to get me out of there asap. After having been treated and an op and waiting to go on a ward all bandaged up, I did a runner with my friend. There was me in a pair of huge trackies, a pair of borrowed trainers and a backless gown wandering round the East End.. Anyhow I ended up back home on the South Coast.

I have tried the RBL but all I got was a telephone contact for someone to talk to in Cardiff. Gave that up.

Then spent the next 7 years either on Section or in a day centre for the mentally ill.
    That placed closed down in 02 and for the next 2 years hit the bottle extremely hard. Then because of the excessive alcohol I ended up with Chronic Pancreatitis and in hospital for close on 3 months rocking between the HDU and a ward. All of my organs were shutting down with e blood pressure of 200/200.

So my mental health problems were never resolved nor was the frontal lobe damage mainly because after 2002 no one seemed to care or were interested in me - I had dropped below their radar.

Blame - I blame myself in a way but even at 70, if I ever find out who put me in this situation I would certainly do a lengthy sentence in prison for them.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.