Driving - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Driving

2»

Comments

• Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Has the guidance for following journeys changed?  It was always supposed to be about using public transport, so driving ability would be irrelevant.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Following and planning a journey is about...
    • ability to plan the route of a journey in advance
    • ability to leave the home and embark on a journey and
    • ability to follow the intended route once they leave the home.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Niclevi99
    Niclevi99 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    If someone sees it is snowing or icy outside and decides they don't feel able to drive in those conditions it doesn't mean they should give up their licence they are making a judgement. I intend to stop driving when I stop working since I am only in my 40s I have some years to go. The DVLA states if someone had mild to moderate anxiety they do not have to stop driving there is only a requirement to make them aware if the individual feels their driving ability is effected and you should speak to your doctor for advice which  I have already done. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Tardis said:
    Has the guidance for following journeys changed?  It was always supposed to be about using public transport, so driving ability would be irrelevant.  
    agreed, hence why I mentioned using public transport. The poster is fixated on driving a car with medical issues that in my opinion make it definitely unwise to drive.

As far as I was aware that particular section has, was and still is assessed as only using public transport.
  • Yadnad
    Niclevi99 said:
    If someone sees it is snowing or icy outside and decides they don't feel able to drive in those conditions it doesn't mean they should give up their licence they are making a judgement. I intend to stop driving when I stop working since I am only in my 40s I have some years to go. The DVLA states if someone had mild to moderate anxiety they do not have to stop driving there is only a requirement to make them aware if the individual feels their driving ability is effected and you should speak to your doctor for advice which  I have already done. 

There's a difference between mild to moderate anxiety  and anxiety to such a level that they are claiming that they cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey due to anxiety or other mental health problem.

That to me means that the claimant if making a wrong turn off a well known route onto one that they have no knowledge of they would be incapable of following that unknown route - presumably they would freeze and sit in the car no doubt having a panic attack.   
  • pee14
    pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
  • poppy123456
    My daughter claims Enhanced mobility for following and planning a journey and her ability to use public transport never came into it. Neither did driving a car because she doesn't have a license or the capacity to ever be able to have one. I simply proved it with evidence from the learning disability team that stated she can't plan or follow the route of a journey and the reasons why she can't. I backed it up with 3 real life incidents that actually happened to her and she was awarded 12 points because she never ever goes anywhere alone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tardis
    If a person can't make a journey of any type without assistance then they also can't make a journey using public transport without assistance.  It doesn't follow that a different person, who can't do the unfamiliar route without assistance cannot ever drive a car.
  • Niclevi99
    Niclevi99 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Well clearly you know nothing about mental health because that doesn't happen to me yadnad it never has and if it did i wouldn't drive as  I say I don't really know the threshold for that descriptor as I have worked all my life and never claimed a benefit. I have mild to moderate anxiety and simply don't feel comfortable driving places I have never been as I hate getting lost. There are plenty of people who are scared to drive on the motorway and get a bit flustered and that is what I am getting at. Not all anxiety leads to panic attacks so if that is what this descriptor means then clearly I don't meet it. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s completely different walking and driving a journey. Being in a car for some people can feel safer than being outside walking. It can remove anxiety and it can enhance abilities. 
  • Yadnad
    Niclevi99 said:
    I have mild to moderate anxiety and simply don't feel comfortable driving places I have never been as I hate getting lost. 
    I'm sorry but if that is the sum total of your difficulties then the DWP decision  can be of no surprise.

I would imagine that the position you find yourself in is entirely normal - not many people would relish the idea of getting lost.
    It doesn't mean to say that because of that situation you would be able to claim PIP.
    Did you have a professional welfare rights officer advise you in making the claim?

If the worry of getting lost is acceptable to the DWP, then my wife has had that problem for over 40 years - since the night I met her and offered to take her home. She knew her address (having lived there and in that area since 1956) but could not tell me how to get there - why? Because it was dark!! It was only a 5 mile journey within Manchester. Instead we ended up going in the wrong direction towards Sheffield!! Took me over 3 hours to do the 5 miles! 
  • Tardis
    I don't think they are claiming that is the sum total of their difficulties.  The first post on this thread states that they can't walk far, or manage a bus.  @Niclevi99 if you haven't had face to face help from an advisor, it might be a good idea to try to get some.  And ignore yadnad.  He isn't making decisions for the DWP.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Can I please remind all members that we want the community to be a safe and supportive place. Please make sure your messages respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you don’t agree with them.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    You say you wouldnt like to be in a car with the poster.
    Well i dont feel safe knowing hes driving a car.
    Its very selfish to drive a lump of metal that could kill someone and you say you  feel safe? Cheek!
    What about all the innocent people you could kill while you "feel safe" 
    If you have mental problems you are NOT safe driving a lump of metal that could kill.
    STOP DRIVING be fair to everyone else. Usethe bus you wont kill/hurt anyone then.
    You know you shouldnt  drive thats why you posted in the first place.
    The DWP should take your car off you and anyone else whos mental state makes them a danger

You feel safe what a cheek?

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    It's up to the D V L A. 
  • poppy123456
    Suffering from mental health doesn't mean you're not safe to drive!
  • lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    I agree with poppy123456 and debbiedo49.

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I am still quite capable of driving despite severe physical and mental conditions and a ton of supposedly reaction dulling medications and will only give it up when I feel my abilities are affected but I have known some older people who were obviously incapable continuing to drive simply because they refused to accept their limitations. I constantly reassess my abilities and, currently, am fine. Although my reactions are slower than they used to be they are still acceptable and my experience has, if anything, made my driving better. On only one occasion have I driven when I shouldn't and I will not do that again,

Some of this came up in my f2f for PIP and, although I still prefer maps, sis admit to needing to use the cars built in Sat Nav to find new places and had to steel myself to putting up with the stresses driving causes, not because of my driving but due to the generally low standard of driving by most other drivers. If anything I now drive better by sticking to speed limits and, unlike most people, accepting and sticking to driving within my capabilities. I still drive faster than most elderly drivers however, most of whom wont admit to needing glasses to see properly. Vanity is such a bad thing to mix with driving.

I have had people tell me I shouldn't drive with the medication I take but the side effects are a generalisation and not everyone suffers them. I have also been told the same thing when I use either my scooter or wheelchair but again it comes from the stupidity shown by most people who have no understanding of such things.

As far as driving in adverse conditions is concerned... I love nothing more than driving when the roads are covered in ice and snow. It's great fun. Too many people only drive when the conditions are good and experience of bad weather makes a person a much better driver.

Driving is a personal choice and need constant evaluation as to your own capabilities and, unless certain thresholds are crossed, should remain so.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.