ESA backpay error Rent and Council Tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA backpay error Rent and Council Tax

miracleboy
miracleboy Community member Posts: 26 Connected
Hi

I have had my backpay which includes SDP and EDP. I am worried now as does this affect my council tax, also rent? I live alone. Do I not pay rent now, and because I would have been entitled to full housing benefit does that mean they owe me for all those years?

Also council tax will I now owe them more? Will they be in touch with me?

Comments

• miracleboy
    I will still carry on paying my rent and council tax until I hear from them.
  • miracleboy
    Can anyone answer this question?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    The SDP and EDP won't entitle you to anymore housing benefit and you won't have to pay anymore council tax.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • miracleboy
    Hi Poppy

I thought income related does not pay rent? Or is it because it is Contribution made up with IR? So all will be fine and I don't need to contact Housing and Council Tax?
  • poppy123456
    Income Related benefits doesn't pay your rent, housing benefit pay your rent. Having the Income Related top up on your ESA won't entitle you to anymore housing benefit than you're already claiming, it won't affect any other benefits you maybe claiming.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • miracleboy
    So do I not need to let the Housing Council Tax know my benefit money has gone up?
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2018
    No because both of the premiums are not counted when claiming either of these benefits. They most likely already know you're claiming them because DWP do contact local councils with information on benefit claims. The SDP is extra money because you have a disability and you won't be penalised by having less housing benefit or CTR.
  • miracleboy
    Thank you Poppy truly appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    Not a problem. If it helps you feel better, i claim exactly what you claim and it has no affect on my housing benefit or CTR.
  • miracleboy
    Hi Poppy

Does this also mean it won't affect me because of savings higher now with the  council tax and housing benefit? I know the dwp disregard it for a year, but what about the council and housing?

Thank You
  • poppy123456
    It's disregarded for 52 weeks.
  • miracleboy
  • Lisa1985
    Lisa1985 Community member Posts: 55 Connected
    I don’t know what I am on whether it is income related esa or income based esa contribution based esa I don’t know how can I find this out 
  • Lisa1985
    I’m not sure if I am going to get a back dated money from dwp esa I’ve been on esa for 4years claiming on my own so I don’t know what income I’m on esa income related esa income based esa income contribution based i don’t know 
  • poppy123456
    Lisa1985 said:
    I’m not sure if I am going to get a back dated money from dwp esa I’ve been on esa for 4years claiming on my own so I don’t know what income I’m on esa income related esa income based esa income contribution based i don’t know 
    Which group are you in and how much do you receive every 2 weeks? I'll tell you from this whether you're claiming Contributions based or Income related.

Do you claim PIP or DLA, if so which one and what award do you have?
  • Lisa1985
    I get £249 every 2 weeks and I get dla which is £328 
  • Lisa1985
  • poppy123456
    What DLA award do you have? I'm sorry but without all of the information it's impossible to help you.
  • Lisa1985
    What do you mean award do I get i now I’m on middle rate dla and how do I find out what award I get please 
  • Lisa1985
    Can you please let me know how I can find out what award I’m on with the dla please 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.