Would Carers Allowance affect my ESA? — Scope | Disability forum

Would Carers Allowance affect my ESA?

Ron68 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Just want to check something I hope someone on here can help.
I have been awarded ESA , but the ' Limited capacity to work or work related activity' addition to Universal Credit. I have also been awarded PIP , standard rate for daily living , and enhanced for mobility.
My sister has applied for carers allowance , as she does the cooking and cleaning etc..
I received a letter today informing me that she has applied for carers allowance , but on the other side of the letter it stated her getting carers allowance can effect my ESA.
I emailed the 'Cares Advice Line' , they stated that because I get LCWWRA , and not severe disablement premium , my ESA should not be touched.
Does anyone on here know enough about this from knowledge or experience gained to confirm or deny this? Any help would be appreciated.


  • mummyOB
    mummyOB Member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi, I am new too.  here to listen ?
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ron68, and a warm welcome to the community!

    I'm not sure of this myself, but I'm tagging in @Gill_Scope who will hopefully be able to advise. Hopefully some of our other members will be able to share their experiences too!
  • Ron68
    Ron68 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I phoned this morning. As I don't get the severe disability element part of ESA , my sister claiming carers Allowance will not effect my ESA claim. I only get the 'limited work capability and work related activity' part , which will remain untouched.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi @Ron68

    That sounds right as far as it goes.

    If you are entitled to income-related ESA and live alone and there is someone who is offering 35 hours care per week, there is a choice to be made between you.

    Either you can get the severe disability premium, which can be very useful as there is transitional protection in some cases when you move onto universal credit... (this depends upon any other change in your circumstances and upcoming government legislation) - or your sister can claim carers allowance.

    You can still get the severe disability premium if your sister has a carer premium on an income-related benefit, but does not collect the carers allowance itself.

    As you can appreciate, there are lots of ifs and buts around this. You need to get personal advice about the options for you personally.

    Do phone our Helpline, Ron, if you'd like to check what DWP have said to you. 



Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.