Falling through the disability aid net - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Falling through the disability aid net

2»

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cora sorry I don't have much to offer, and suspect that what I am going to suggest is something you may have already looked into.

While you are looking to find a glove solution would a wet guard barrier cream be of help when trying ideas so if water gets in it reduces/stops the damage done? For example: https://www.rozalex.co.uk/collections/barrier-creams/products/wet-guard-barrier-cream

I appreciate that the ingredients that make up the product might not make it suitable for you, and these are not listed, but they can be contacted. This is one I have found, I am sure there are more on the market.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 24 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Can you get any online delivery out there?  And/or, can you fix with the Tesco people or some other regular traveller, to get a personal agreement to have a  private hygienically  sealed box now and then?

I'm reasoning that not just you, but an increasing number, are avoiding this and that.  Michael Mosley et al investigated gut health and the immune system.  Milk and more deliver, in London,  organic yoghurt and milk in reusable glass, which suits those avoiding plastic on food.  Then there are various organic food deliveries. 

Soon, someone will wake up and see that dried potato has a customer base who may well like organic, plastic free, to dodge allergens and food sensitivity, and to dodge difficult food preparation.    And, those same potential customers will value any other organic dried food.   Light to transport, long lasting and not needing fridges.  What's not to love?   

A bonus for suppliers is dried mash could include all root veg, including casava,  yam, turnip parsnip swede.    Dried peas and a variety of other green veg would be great cupboard standby products for anyone.    A N D they would mop up the waste of seasonal gluts, making everything worth growing, without risk.   

Dry kale and seaweed both seem to be considered a delicacy in place of crisps.

(An extra bonus is that there is no problem with differently sized, or wonky veg, being rejected)    There was a war product called dried egg. It wasn't liked, but it would be worth trying, esp for organic egg.     

There is a product called microgreens, similar to mustard and cress, just closely packed newly sprouted seeds of leaf veg.  It's  in supermarkets, all too rarely, needs no cooking, but is meant to be extremely nourishing.

Other posters have said what I thought, about not wasting your struggles on making your hands stand up to water filled with harsh cleaning products.    Maybe if you try at all costs to save them for the leather cutting, it would pay for a cleaner/cook, a couple of times a week?  (As long as he/she doesn't fill the air with  sprays or scented products or chemicals, of course)

By the way, is there anything in the leather itself, eg lanolin, to set off your sensitivity? If so, can it be dodged? Working in gloves would be cumbersome, presumably?
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Hi @Cora right i think you are looking at a dressmaker , you will be surprised what they can do and to get the right fabric you need , you ask why i said that well i used to be one over the years  , if you look online and see who does dressmaking    x
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2018
  • [Deleted User]
  • waqasali201
    waqasali201 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hi @Cora

So when I mentioned Canadian Rigger Gloves I had in mind something similar to this:

having someone skilled in needlework cut and adapt as needed.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @waqasali201
    Scope

Brightness