Can anyone please recommend a charity that offers EMDR sessions with a psychotherapist? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can anyone please recommend a charity that offers EMDR sessions with a psychotherapist?

Lettybabe
Lettybabe Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I have many medical conditions these being ADHD, APD, Narcolepsy, fibromyalgia, hypersensitivity, anxiety, depression, PTSD and dissasociative disorder. People have never understood me anyway because I have a unique way of thinking... I can't feel emotions without a logical reason to do so. But more recently I have felt let down by the NHS as have many others on this site. At the start of this year I started actively trying to kill myself and was under the support of the crisis team for about a week because apparently having a family member living close to me means they don't need to help. After getting through that but still actively self harming when things get too much I self referred to the mental health team. I had an assessment 2 months later and they had to transfer me to the community mental health team so that they can assess me too and refer me to a psychotherapist for EMDR however they called me recently to say the wait list is over a year long and in the meantime all they will do is have someone call me every few months to make sure I haven't killed myself. I can't be the only person that thinks that this system is broken and people like myself that suffer from severe PTSD find ourselves waiting years just to have an assessment interview. For me personally I find that when my PTSD acts up I have to lie in my bathtub (while its empty) fully clothed crying and trying my hardest not to injure myself. It's so severe that I sleep with a knife now so I feel safe and most of the time I have to sleep with all of the lights and the TV on otherwise I freak out. If anyone knows of any charities that could assist with getting me EMDR therapy sooner to combat my PTSD I would really appreciate the help! 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lettybabe

Sorry to hear this. I have just found EMDR Association which may be of use to you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Tracey1968
    Tracey1968 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Where do you live?
  • EmmaB
    EmmaB Community member Posts: 263 Pioneering
    Hi @Lettybabe

@Ami2301 beat me to it, but I would suggest trying the EMDR Assn, my guess is that trainee EMDR therapists will need to clock up a certain number of hours in order to qualify and so you may find someone who is in training who might be able to offer free therapy.

The wait for EMDR is ridiculous but at least the NHS is recognising it is the way to go for people who have PTSD / dissociation / fibromyalgia [as a result of trauma]...

Another good organisation is PODS:  https://www.pods-online.org.uk

Both organisations might have some suggestions as to the things you can do while you are waiting i.e. practicing grounding techniques which are really important before working with trauma.

Best wishes.

Emma 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lettybabe 
    I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with so much and I can understand how frustrated you must feel right now, mental health services seem to be under so much strain and many members have talked about how long the waiting lists are to access any support.

MIND say: 

The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) website has an extensive A–Z of therapeutic approaches. This list covers many types of therapy by name, and explains the different beliefs and approaches behind each one.

Unfortunately it's very common to have to spend time on a waiting list before getting therapy through the NHS. While you're on a waiting list it might help to:
    • Ask your doctor to give you a contact number to ring to check how long you have to wait.
    Our page on facing and overcoming barriers to seeking help gives more suggestions.
    Some community and charity sector organisations may offer free or low-cost talking therapies. For example:
    • Anxiety UK offers talking therapies for anxiety. There is a fee but they do offer reduced costs for people on a low income.
    See our page on seeking help through the third sector for more information. Some charities also provide telephone listening and emotional support services. These are not counselling or therapy, but can be helpful if you need to talk to someone in between sessions.

You can also contact @Samaritans who offer emotional support. They can listen to you and help you talk through your concerns worries and troubles. You can also call Samaritans at any time, for free on 116 123. If you don’t feel like talking you can also email them jo@samaritans.org 

If you feel you are at immediate risk of harming yourself you can call 999 or go to your local Accident and emergency department for treatment. 

Please take care, and I hope you get the help you need. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck, hope you get some help soon.

Brightness