ESA3 FORM Confusion!!! — Scope | Disability forum

ESA3 FORM Confusion!!!

Katkins Member Posts: 7 Listener
I've just recieved an ESA3 form. 
It says from February 2012 to now.
Called the number and the guy said it appears they have sent the form as I'm owed money. 
I have trawled the internet and cannot find anywhere a rough idea of what I could  get.
The man I spoke to said I should be getting 4 years back pay.
Does anyone have a rough idea what I may get?
Is there a minimum/maximum weekly amount I can guess from?
I've never been owed anything. I'm reading that the average pay out is £5000.
I don't want to get my hopes up but it's hard not to! 

If it helps, I'm single, only ever claimed by myself, for myself. I have moved once and had a baby the July 2013 so obviously get CB and CTC but no maintenance from the father. 
I'd be so grateful for someone to shed some light on this. 
The internet has totally confused me! Lol! 

Many thanks in advance x


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Katkins
    Sorry we havent been able to help with this, I suppose you need to wait and see!

    So let us know how it turns out though :)
    Senior online community officer
  • Katkins
    Katkins Member Posts: 7 Listener

    I sent my form back recorded delivery today. 

    I've been told the minimum is £16.40 a week up to £60+ for the SDP.

    Even the lower rate amounts to quite a bit.

    I will let you know the outcome x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,831 Disability Gamechanger
    For the SDP you need either a daily living award of PIP or DLA mid/high rate care and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you. EDP is £16.40 per week from April this year but slightly less in previous years.
  • Katkins
    Katkins Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thank you.

    That's what I read in other places so I'm sure I'm only going to get the lower amount, if any!

    Fingers crossed! x
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hello Katkins

    The extra money that can be awarded is based on whether you are a carer, severely disabled, a pensioner, or have housing costs (i.e. a mortgage). There is also an extra amount of money called an enhanced disability premium that can be awarded when for example someone is placed in the support group. These extra amounts can increase if you are in a couple.  Any extra income or savings that you have may reduce the amount awarded.

    Given the above the amounts can vary for every persons and this is why it hard to say exactly what a person will get.  However as you have already concluded given your circumstances as a single person, not on PIP/DLA (or registered blind), not claiming carers allowance, not a pensioner or has a mortgage the backdated premium is likely to be based on entitlement to the enhanced disability premium.  The payment at the moment is £16.40 but was less in previous years.

    Please keep us posted.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.