Re Assessment of PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Re Assessment of PIP

Phill2433
Phill2433 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Can you have your PIP reassessed. I am currently on low rate mobility. But since my assesment my illness as steadily got worse. 
I have stage 3 COPD and soon have to have lung reduction done any time in the near future. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    You need to get further advice from welfare rights/CAB or similar before reporting a worsening condition. A worsening condition doesn't mean you'll be awarded more points. Your existing award maybe at risk because people report changes and they lose everything they already have.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello amd welcome, when you receive your award notification letter it clearly states that any changes in you circumstances must be reported if they are likely to last for a long period of time. So if you condition has worsened and will remain so and not improve you should, must report it. You will need to inform DWP of the changes and expect to fill in another 40page application form and be sent for another F2F acessment. I did this as my mobility had worsened over a 12 month period and was awarded the enhanced mobility rate and remained on standard rate care. Seek advice if you wish but by not reporting your changes you could risk not getting a higher award.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    A worsening of condition doesn't mean a higher award will be given and no one on an internet forum can possibly give the correct advice because no one knows how a persons conditions affect them. Yes you could get a higher award but you also risk losing everything you already have, as many have.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    HiyaPhill2433, As much as I agree with poppy123456, who I must say gives out valuable advice and very knowledgeable advice, I can only give you what happened to me.
    I toyed with letting the dwp known that my condition had worsened. Then decided I had to because my conditions were getting worse. It’s a very anxious time from start to finish. I was already on standard for both for 3 years and had only been receiving it for 10 months, the time period from start to finish was from February, this was filling in the form, to August when I had the results.
    From the time I send the form in ,until I had the outcome I wish I hadn’t  had done it, because I was so scared. I had a very nice hcp, gave my answer to the descriptors as short as I could,but with as much impact as I could. After 10 weeks of waiting for my Reconsideration as they call it. I had enhanced on both for 10 years. 
    Its a truly anxious time because I was already receiving pip and was scared to lose it, but as my health had take a nose dive I knew I had to let them know.
    Im telling you this because I wish I’d found a post telling me how they felt and the pit falls. It not easy, none of it is for anyone. The whole system is scary. 
    Get advice, think very carefully how you are going to deliver how the illness/es affect your daily life. Look on here, there are some extremely knowledgeable people on here.
    You know yourself and that to me was my starting point, but I’d never tell anyone ‘ yes’ you should do it, it’s down to you. Good luck and wish you well.???

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.