PIP decision in. And breathe....X — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP decision in. And breathe....X

Mumof2ds
Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
Hi Everyone. . 

Brace yourselves, it is a long waffle

@MsAnxious, updating you too, as noticed you asked yesterday. I hope things are looking a bit brighter for you this week. XX 

Anyhow I rang DWP to make sure my new evidence had got there ( sent tracked,as original paperwork - they still lost the assessment in their offices for 22 days?, Also tracked so they couldntc deny it had arrived as signed for!) 

Moral of that story - damn the expense and send anything official back tracked as it proved it had been received!) Even though they supply prepaid envelope. 

Anyhow awarded PIP standard rate,   10 points, for my Menieres Disease and day to day living, hearing losses, hearing aids etc. 

I am absoloutely grateful for anything!

I was just 2 points off higher rate, but don't think I should drag up an MR, case just relieved I have been awarded something, after all the horrendous stories on here. 

The assessor noted I was on standard medication for my depression and anxiety
( 40 mg a day) although I was on 20 mg for a few months, the doctor upped it to 40 mg,  in July as not coping since last year when she put me on 20 mg last October, before I had CBT and Counselling 2017 / 2018. Continuing that and scraping money together privately for weekly sessions) I receive no other benefits, never have. As I have a husband who works hard to support our children and myself. 

She noted my  mental health clearly was manageable, as I looked well kempt, had clean fingernails? And made eye  contact and spoke to the assessor, and built up rapport?

My thoughts  on that are: 
I was brought up to be polite to people, and treat others how I wish to be treated. That comment **** me off as I kind of want to write in and say this illnesses ( Menieres Disease) and my mental health have changed me so much as a person, these last 21  months, BUT I still have basic hygiene, politeness to others, and a scrap of pride left,   and try and look after myself on the days I feel well enough to do it, when ImI not stuck in bed, but only go out for essential journeys. 

Apparently I could plan journeys alone, and go out so scored 4 points on mobility,              ( family  members prepare journeys if I have to travel , pay for cabs, but rarely go out unless necessary, as I had many drop attacks and the falls have knocked my confidence, nothing awarded at this time, for mobility, even though my slow pace and balance issues, and weak R side gait was noted due to Menieres Disease, and using an aid to walk with, hearing and balance issues. 

Anyhow honestly just grateful it's over, and awarded until 2021. Review will be up to a year before this. I have not been able to work since February 2017, but anything towards daily living expenses are better than none. I feel. 

I wanted to thank everyone for your help, support and advice along the way since June / July, and I wish everyone well for fighting their corners! 

Part of me wants to fight for the mental health points and do MR, as mental health isn't always visible, we hide it well and suffer silently daily.  They noted I scratch my arms through anxiety and scarring shown. 

I gather I have a month from award date to apply for MR, but don't  want to loose what I have have given, as the assessor was polite and friendly, but the decision maker I think took my new evidence and diagnosis letter  into extra consideration after the assessment. As I received that afterwards, so submitted seperately recently, After I phoned them and explained. The Assessor knew the diagnosis would arrive after the F2F. 

Apparently I didn't look tired at all, ( I am exhausted all the time!) But as my skin had a good pallor, and tone, so that makes me awake? But surely the deep bags and shadows under my eyes, and reports of constant tinnitus from my hearing loss therapist, which in turn caused part of  my mental health issues, and keep me  awake at night had no relevance, but mental health noted with Menieres Disease.  

The report also said I  wasn't under  a mental health team? although my evidence from three teams said I have been having counselling since July and must continue my weekly sessions with Physio and therapist and antidepressants for depression and anxiety as well as my menieres Disease symptoms and meds. 

Actually writing it out, even with my ramble, makes me want to do a MR. What do I have to do for that, should I decide to? Write the points I disagree with, to the address the decision letter came from? I know I dontd have long to send that in? 

I am honestly so grateful I have been awarded anything, never claimed for anything in my life before ( I am 50)  my hearing therapist,  who supplied me with hearing aids, and daytime tinnitus maskers first suggested it,  Physiotherapy, Counsellor and ENT and Neurologist teams advised me to apply too!  

Unsure what to do, but so tired with it all, don't think I want to rock the boat and loose what I have been given. 

Your thoughts? 

Thanks everyone. 
XX 
Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
 Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
 Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 

Comments

• Mumof2ds
    Wake up everyone I've finished now. XX ?
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Good job! Only you can make the decision. Do you have a welfare rights officer?
  • Mumof2ds
    Hi @debbiedo49

Never heard of a welfare rights officer, didntd come on here until after I had filled in and sent off my initial forms. 

Found the fantastic community on here, with their wealth of information after I applied for PIP. 

XX is the Welfare Officer through CAB? Don't even know where my nearest us, but can Google it. 

90% thinks just be incredibly grateful for any award, as new to all this and sit tight, but the 10%whicb is probably urged and over thinking by my anxiety along with last shreads of fight says " fight your corner, mental health is not always down to clean fingernails, and looking people in the eye" and my ENT states my overwhelming worry over going out and struggling with journeys/ going alone to F2F" 

My husband dropped me off outside the door, but could not get out of work load, meeting, etc, the only other family available was our 13 year old son, who had a baker day, so home, and I  didn't want to drag him along even though he offered, bless him incase he was not allowed in, as he has seenenough of his ailing Mum since Feb 2017 to last a lifetime. He is always helping as my husband works a long way away ( 2 hour commute each way) and elder son has just gone off to University, so fallen on 13 year old to help me when hubby can't be around, on daysd my Menieres monster comes and bites me on the bum, and drags me under. 

XX 
  • Mumof2ds
    Excuse extra awful typing errors! Very tired and as ever rambling. Lol 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Many claimants never bother to seek advice of that nature. Some do because they just don't know what to put on the forms.
    There is no right or wrong way when applying for PIP/MR or appeal. You do what you can and hope for the best.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Welfare rights people can work for various organisations like your local council or housing association, charitable organisations and such. Money advice teams etc. Hope this helps. Mine came with me to tribunal I had no one else to go with me and like you I didn't want to ask my 19 year old son as he was devastated when I lost my esa tribunal 3 years ago when he saw how badly I reacted to the stress. Never again. 
  • Mumof2ds
    Thanks for replies @debbiedo49 and @Yadnad

If I did write to DWP for MR, is it just a question of writing a letter, or are there specific forms, and could DWP remove my standard  award ? Guessing they can. . 

I just do not want to loose what I have already fought for. by rocking the boat, as the stories on here from others sound horrendous, and right now, dontd have the fight to go through Assessment again. XX 
    Thank you in advance.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news. If you're not happy with the decision then you have 28 days to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points.

You should also remember that PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities against the PIP descriptors. Some of what you stated above makes me think that there's things that you don't fully understand. You can't score points if you don't meet the descriptors and some won't meet them regardless of how their conditions affect them. A letter stating a diagnosis, won't score any points.

You need to make 100% sure that you can score those extra points for a higher award and that there's no risk to losing the award you currently have before you ask for the MR and no one can tell you that on an internet forum. Face to face advice for this is advised because no one here knows how your conditions affect you.

Only 17% of MR decisions change so you'll most likely need to take it to Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mumof2ds
    Morning @poppy123456

Thanks for the great advice. 

I will have a total read through the descriptors, points etc and the decision notes, before making decisions. 

Thank you. As said very grateful for whatever has  been awarded. XX 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mumof2ds
    edited November 2018
    Hi again @poppy123456.

Thanks for the extra link. 
    I had described everything both written and verbally regarding how my Menieres Disease affect my balance, hearing, and drop attacks affect my confidence and also triggered Anxiety and Depression and in depth reason how these things affect my day, and tinnitus causes sleep issues nightly,  xhaustion and fatigue after vertigo attacks. I said it as it is daily. 

Anyhow I will sit quietly tomorrow and go through my paperwork against the new link Poppy but gut feeling is better to stick with what I have and be incredibly grateful for the award. So many receive nothing on both, so to receive 10 points which gives me Standard daily rate on PIP, and will hang in there, and see how my mobility is at my next review. XX 

It has  been a long 20 months fighting this ruddy illness and diagnosis and starting to create a long term management plan for the future and it progresses, and will get worse both in balance and hearing losses, steroid injections next into my inner ears. Hopefully not yet  a while!! As causes further damage over time to hearing permenently. 

Thank you very much everyone for your kindness, help, advice and support. 

P XX 
  • Fight4Justice
    Fight4Justice Community member Posts: 63 Pioneering
    I think it depends on whether you feel you deserve 2 more points for Daily Living and 6 more points for Mobility. If the answer is yes, on principle you can make a case to go for it. However, it also depends on your financial situation and whether you're prepared to wait 6 to 9+ months (waiting time varies based on geographic region) for a tribunal date, as MRs have a low success rate as Poppy said. The worse case scenario at MR would be to have a Decision Maker reduce your award to nothing. Then you'd be left with nothing until the tribunal. But if you won at the tribunal you'd get it all backdated at the Enhanced Daily Living and Standard Mobility rates (assuming the tribunal awarded you those rates). If the MR came back with same result, you'd keep the Standard Daily Living rate and just have to wait for the tribunal, where you'll get the opportunity to win the higher rates. It is possible you could get your award reduced at the tribunal, but you would really need to screw up badly for that to happen. My own experiences at tribunals has been very positive, 2/2. My last 2/3 PIP Reassessments, since the Conservatives have had a majority, have been terrible, had my award taken away both times, then had to wait 6-8 months (both times again) to get to a tribunal, where I've won back my awards comfortably.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
  • Mumof2ds
    Thank you very much for the reply @Fight4Justice for the information and advice. 
    P X 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.