Bronchiectasis and peripheral neuropathy — Scope | Disability forum

Bronchiectasis and peripheral neuropathy

After years of being a carer my own health has taken a back seat, but my latest scare has made my life a struggle. I'm looking for advice please. 
3 weeks ago I was admitted to hospital I thought it was my chest but was told I had an irregular heartbeat probably as a result of my Bronchiectasis (Bronchi).
I also have peripheral neuropathy both conditions have greatly Impacted my daily life and affected my caring duties.
Matters are made worse as I had a lobectomy as a child and the consultant says that has caught up with me. I can't exercise because of my neuropathy which makes my chest worse so it's a vicious circle. 
The neuropathy hinders my movement and impacts on my sleep greatly.
Friends and my GP have been great and I'm going to apply for PIP is there anybody with my conditions who have applied and been successful and can you give me any advice many thanks John


  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    I have peripheral neuropathy, I have no sense of feeling in the extremities (fingers and toes) which is slowly spreading. This was taken into account with my other ailments. Osteoporosis, Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia. With the ailments you described, I would certainly apply for PIP. However, before you do, get as many ducks in a row as you can. Doctors report, a copy of your medical records (Last 2 years is normally sufficient) Consultants Letter, and impact statement from any support system you may have. Don't expect it to be quick, or a 'Walk-in-the-Park', If you need any more advice, or just support, come back to this forum. There are some very knowledgeable members, who can offer advice and support. Good Luck.

                    Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,672 Disability Gamechanger

    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the descriptors. You must also have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last a further 9 months and be between the ages of 16-64.

    If you do apply then as stated above evidence will be needed to support your claim. Help filling out the form is also recommended. The more information you put on the form about how your conditions affect you the better.

    Expect a face to face assessment as most people have them.

  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 27 Connected
    Thank you poppy much appreciated
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 27 Connected
    Thank you peasmold much appreciated


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.