How do I get support and what do I ask for? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I get support and what do I ask for?

Options
cheniserowenaknox
cheniserowenaknox Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello, I have asd, adhd, ptsd, ibs and spondylitis; my partner David has nerve damage giving him chronic pain and affecting his mobility, also rem sleep disorder which is very bad.
 I get pip so am technically recognised as disabled, David doesn’t but he gets carers allowance to take care of me. 
We have a support worker from children and family services but she helps the children, what we really need is help with paperwork and accessing nhs services; is there help for this? And where do we go please?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cheniserowenaknox
    You can check to see if you are entitled to any benefits here.

Can you ask the support worker if they can either offer any other help or if they can refer you on to anyone else?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

You should have a benefit check - your partner may also be able to claim PIP, as long as his "caring" role is not incompatible with his stated difficulties, there is nothing to stop him claiming.  You do not say if you get any other benefits, this will depend on whether you are in a Universal Credit full service area or not.  Be sure before making any claim for UC - once you claim UC, in a full service area you cannot get back off it to claim another legacy benefit. 

You may want to see if there is a local advocacy service that you could access - your local authority may be able to advise about this.

The Benefits Training Co:

• Glen76
    Glen76 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    I would contact your local citizens advice to ask them to do a full benefit check and possible entitlements like to see if you meet the descriptor for PIP. After that they will be able to assist you through the process 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    There are a few charities that provide help with such things as paperwork and other general day-to-day issues (though many more places that help with PIP stuff). MH, MIND and other mental health groups can help you get into contact with such organisations.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • cheniserowenaknox
    cheniserowenaknox Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Thank you all for your help/advice, I will try those things out; thank you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.