ESA TRIBUUNAL ADJOURNMENT ADVICE! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA TRIBUUNAL ADJOURNMENT ADVICE!

Options
befuddled
befuddled Community member Posts: 14 Listener
New forum member here.

I had my tribunal for an ESA claim on wednesday. The judge and doctor present were very sympathetic and listened to all I had to say.
The DWP didn't send their rep to sit in and listen.
Due to a legal complication and in the words of the judge 'this being a very unusual case' he has adjourned the case and wants the DWP to give evidence pertaining to a couple of points that were bought up.

I was placed in the work related activity group but I didnt appeal against that for over 12 months (obviously the appeal was still accepted) DWP is being asked to explain what work related activity I was given since being placed in WRAG and if I wasnt required to do any, why I wasnt expected to undertake any activity.
The DWP must clarify which activity I would not have been expected to undertake.
I attended a single interview for JSA and the respondant must show details of all activity undertaken and asked of me in respect of the JSA claim. The JSA claim was turned down on the same day as the interview if i remember rightly as it was income based and partner works for 21 hours a week.
Does this sound good from my point of view? The DWP has 21 days to respond!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tru88le
    tru88le Posts: 201 Courageous
    Options
    Im glad your question was less comllex than the lead up...
    Personally i would say yes it sounds good.
    But theres some info missing for me to be more certain, like
    Tbe comolication, why so unusual.

Seems a bit weird the judge doing that.
  • befuddled
    Options

The complication being that DWP had absolutley no reason to accept my late appeal because it was 13 months late, and they could have shut it down there and then by saying sorry you have exceeded the appeal time limit.

Yet went ahead and processed it anyway. The judge said that it made no sense to him.

• befuddled
    Options
    thanks for your reply @Username_removed.

Makes sense what you say about the lateness of my initial appeal, but DWP could have turned it down, this I find hard to understand. If i took a coat back late expecting a refund the shop has no need to refund me if I am outside of the period.

The questions that are being asked of the DWP all relate to activities that I was asked to take part in while i was in the WRAG, (none, because I was never called in for a WRAG 'interview') and details of all activities that I was asked to take part in during my claim for JSA (again none because I wasn't liable for JSA as it is income based).

Reading between the lines of it, seems to be that the Judge is asking if I was placed in WRAG why wasn't I given activities. And if I wasn't expected to do any activities why wasn't I left in the Support Group.

Will I not have the same judge present in the second hearing?

Will that mean going over all the evidence again?
  • befuddled
    Options
    Dwp didn't send a rep, so it's only the judge and the doctor.

Maybe they might be available.

• befuddled
    Options
    @Username_removed again thanks for your reply.

I suppose I am looking for the slightest glimmer of hope that this is going to go my way.

Just that the Judge and Doctor last week were sympathetic and I felt that they were listening and taking on board what I was presenting.
  • PTSDdisabled
    PTSDdisabled Posts: 41 Connected
    Options
    DWP almost always decline to object to late appears nowadays.

If your tribunal started and heard evidence then you can only have the same 3 or a different 3. It’s hard to get the same 3 together so most likely a different 3.
    Didn't you say in another thread, that once 13 months had gone past you could not appeal?
  • befuddled
    Options

I was led to believe that you have to ask for the mandatory reconsideration within 28 days. I put mine in 13 months late and the DWP still accepted it. The Judge didnt understand why they hadnt just said that it was too late and that would have been that.
  • PTSDdisabled
    PTSDdisabled Posts: 41 Connected
    Options
    mikehughescq,

I am hoping to get some advice, and amazingly enough assistance with my case from The Mary Ward Centre, Central London.

There are drop drop in sessions from 2 to 4pm, On Tuesdays. I was informed that people start arriving from 12. My difficulty with waiting to be seen is because I suffer from the following:

Mental Health

Complex PTSD;

Significant Post Traumatic Stress

symptomatology; flashbacks, hypervigelence (being constantly on alert), increased irritability, memory and concentration problems accompanied by some depressive symptoms; anhedonia, social withdrawal, low mood and anxiety.

Borderline Personality Disorder;
    Depressive Disorder;
    General Anxiety Disorder;
    Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder;
    Adjustment Disorder. With mixed anxiety and depressed mood;

PHYSICAL

I have a crumbling C6 vertebrae, which causes neuropathic pain, and makes arm almost useless.
    Ruptured Right Achilles Tendon
    Pain in Right Knee;
    Pain in Right Hip;
    Pain in left hip
    Numbness in toes and sometimes legs
    Numbness or tingling in right arm, hand and fingers;
    Sacroiliac pain in left buttock occasionally in right buttock. 
    Severe lower back pain
    Pain in between shoulders
    Restricted movement in neck, and pain
    - IBS.

I have significant problems with sleeping, getting to sleep and remaining asleep, leading to sleep deprivation and exhaustion.

I have up to date medical and psychological reports and have supplied these to the assessor along with photographs of the injury to my back.

Do you think I could ask for a specific appointment time, owing to the above, as a “Request for Reasonable Adjustments”? 

The Mary Ward Centre does offer appointments, but you have to attend the “gateway “, session on Tuesdays, to be able to get an appointment.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.