My experience of a home assessment DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My experience of a home assessment DLA to PIP

Options
LoolooLindy54
LoolooLindy54 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all
I have had my home assessment today to move from DLA to PIP. I have Multiple Sclerosis and am currently unable to get out of bed with heightened pain and fatigue from a joint bladder and skin infection, making my symptoms and mobility much worse. Mad high Blood pressure systolic readings of over 200 taken four times this morning. My daughter was with me and despite many obstacles was able to record the meeting after signing agreement to their rules to provide two identical copies of the recording which MUST be either on CD or Cassette (how many people would be able to meet that criteria in their homes????)
It is clearly purposely difficult to dissuade people from doing it.
Think the assessor was a bit thrown off and I feel without the recording, there would have been a much more pressing interrogation. As it was I felt completely worn down by this sort of question;  explain to me why are you unable to drive yourself anywhere now, when you drove yourself to the doctors only a month ago?
My reply was a simple question back to him asking if he knew anything about Multiple Sclerosis. Rather agitated he said yes, but I want you tell me so I can understand why your Multiple Sclerosis is any reason for this. 
I was and am baffled. That is how MS works for me, I can’t explain it. I only wish someone would explain that one to me! 
Not sure what the outcome will be but my advice would be to everyone to find a way to record their assessment so and notify in advance of 3 days to ensure compliance. 
The assessor was here for 1 hour 20 mins and I was exhausted when he left with his cd recording. I felt my condition was given no understanding, with questions I could not answer such as why I could do things one day and not the next, other than that this how MS is.
It already feels like an unfair and very judgemental system - the assessor did not ask for my d.o.b or offer to provide his own I.D, breaking their own codes of conduct.
I would love to hear from anyone with a similar experience. 
Very tired newbie. ?

Comments

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Options
    I don't think the recording will do you any favours the PIP criteria is totally different than DLA as many people who were on lifetime DLA failed to get PIP
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @LoolooLindy54, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm so sorry to hear your assessment was tough. I'm sure many other members here on the community will be able to empathise. Do let us know how you get on: fingers crossed for the outcome you're hoping for. Hope today's as kind as possible to you!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.