Should I? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I?

Options
dragon1998
dragon1998 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I receive standard rate PIP and my conditions are worsening, I have the full back up of my Lymphedema Nurse, when should I get in touch with PIP please x

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello, how long ago was your current PIP award made? On your award notification letter it clearly states that if your condition changes ( better or worse) you have to notify the DWP about the changes. So if,have your disability, health conditions got worst that you may need more help with your daily care or mobility than phone the DWP to inform them of your changes in your condition. Like me you will have to fill in another 40 page PIP application form and attend another F2F acessment, in my case my mobility had got worst during the last 12 months so I went from low to enhanced mobility, I was already useing  my own scooter and I am still able to drive my own car . Just make sure you have and can prove your worsening conditions.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    You need to look at the PIP descriptors before reporting any changes. A worsening of condition does not mean you're entitled to more PIP.
    You must also have had that condition for at least 3 months. You should get expert advice before reporting a worsening of condition.

No one here can tell you if there's any risk to your current award because no one knows how your conditions affect you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mikey44
    Mikey44 Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Options
    In my Tribunal the judge said in Her opinion if you have PIP and are happy with it Don’t report any changes as it will only start the WHOLE PROCESS again Assessments Tribunals etc most changes will not make your PIP worth a lot more??!! And she said in a lot PIP cases the difference (if any) is not worth the effort and time you have to invest in this process again. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mikey44 said:
    In my Tribunal the judge said in Her opinion if you have PIP and are happy with it Don’t report any changes as it will only start the WHOLE PROCESS again Assessments Tribunals etc most changes will not make your PIP worth a lot more??!! And she said in a lot PIP cases the difference (if any) is not worth the effort and time you have to invest in this process again. 
    Seriously??

I presume that the Tribunal were only talking about changes where the difficulties had increased? Otherwise they could be cited as promoting benefit fraud if changes happened where things became a little easier and you didn't report them which if you had could have meant a reduction of the PIP award.

To be honest they have no right or jurisdiction to offer that type of advice.

• Mikey44
    Options
    I received Enhanced on both but am still having further treatments,but she said I’m on the highest level and no matter what happens to me I can’t be awarded anymore money or any other level I’m on the upper limit 
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Options
    Hiya dragon1998,
    My health as also deteriorated, I was also on standard for care and mobility.
    Im not knowledgeable on giving you advice on the hows, whats and wheres of the dwp regarding claiming.
    What I’d like to explain is the emotional roller coasters you are on when you finally post the letter to the dwp.
    Here we go! 
    I sent my form off to the dwp in February.
    I then had my assessment in June. From the time I posted the form to them,until I had a date, I didn’t stop worrying.
    Had I done the right thing. Should I have been grateful for what I already had. Would they believe me. What if I’m unable to explain how it effects me. All these questions were going through my head over and over again. This worrying took me to some very dark places in my head.
    I had my assessment in June, very nice hcp assessed me. I felt lucky I had a physiotherapist, this I felt helped because a part of what’s wrong with me.
    I worried and worried and worried and again should I have been grateful bla, bla, bla. 
    After what I felt was eternity I had the dm decision, enhanced for care and mobility. Relief.
    Im not trying to put you off, far from it. I say everytime,go for it if you feel you healths deteriorated.
    I just want you to know how stressful it is. I know you’ve already been through it before, you will keep questioning yourself,so please be prepared and surround yourself with your loved ones. It will be a rocky ride.
    Again, I’m not trying to put you off, I’m just being realistic. 
    Good luck! 
    There are some  very knowledgeable, clever people on here. They are always willing to help.???
  • Yadnad
    Options
    Mikey44 said:
    I received Enhanced on both but am still having further treatments,but she said I’m on the highest level and no matter what happens to me I can’t be awarded anymore money or any other level I’m on the upper limit 
    I see. What length is your award for? I was on the same as you and when I had my re-assessments every time the DWP reduced it down 0 points!
  • Mikey44
    Options
    My new Award is now until 2023 as of now??!!
  • Yadnad
    Options
    Mikey44 said:
    My new Award is now until 2023 as of now??!!

Wow 4 years to go before it is reviewed - not bad.

• Mikey44
    Options
    I’m Partially sighted and paralysed down my left side so it’s never gonna change so the Doctor said it really should have been 10years in their opinion but they may look at the dates later,I’m still waiting for Money Paperwork etc since it’s now been 8 weeks since the Tribunal victory
  • Mikey44
    Options
    The annoying thing is on Tuesday I have to go for a Universal Credit Medical as they don’t accept DWP Tribunal decisions ???
  • Mikey44
    Options
    They have told me they are completely separate to PIP and even though I got all the points necessary for PIP but they say if I don’t attend the Medical I stand to lose both Benefits (what the hell) so which is it Seperate or the same???!!!
  • Mikey44
    Options
    I’m On ESA and now they are changing me to UC and say if I don’t attend the Medical I will lose ESA and UC with a chance PIP is also at jeopardy 
  • Mikey44
    Options
    Ive spoken to my Welfare Rights agent and she is going to join me for the Medical to watch what they are actually looking for as my MR has been sent to them in advance so she wants to make sure they have read it before the test so as not to cause extra hardship and pain,I suffer depression and Anxiety which this test is causing more pressure 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.