interested to talk to anyone who has a child with audio process — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

interested to talk to anyone who has a child with audio process

TLC11
TLC11 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
edited November 2018 in Sensory impairments
Hi my name is Tanya. I have 3 children 
My middle child Georgia was diagnosed with Narcolespy and cataplexy at the age of 8. My son has learning difficulties what they are i dont know really don't know what to say feel abit lost with him to be honest.. the doctor we see was only intrested in his ehcp which is very detailed i was not given time to talk about my worries at home. I was told he had audio process delay was not allowed to call it a disorder as it would be giving him a label ( don't think they get it when all you want is to help your child.) I would be interested to talk to anyone who has a child with audio process so i can find out if things he struggles with are all linked or if i need to keep pushing forward.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @TLC11 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry to hear about your children.

You have come to the right place for support, advice and information.

There will be members of our community who can identify what you are going through. Be happy to be in touch.

Please have a look under our Talk about Specific conditions. Where there are a lot of community members sharing there stories.  Learning Difficulties   Which I hope will be useful for you.

Also have a look under Parents and Carers.  For further posts and stories from our community members which may be of interest to you.

Please ask the community anything some one will know.

We are a friendly, supportive community. Care and share.

Hope that helps.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • TLC11
    Many thanks its lovely to feel welcome i am going to head there now.
    Kind regards 

• dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) is a listeing disability,or the brain having problems processing waht the ears hear. All of our family 3 sos my wife and I all have a clinical diagnosi of having APD. Sounds like the professional you were seeing was trying to hide their ignorance regarding APD, which can be the main underlying cqause of the developmental dyslexia symptom. I was diagnosed as having APD back in 2003 at sheffield University as paryt of the NHS first APD research program. APd can cause problems follwing conversations, and following multiple werbal instructions.
  • TLC11
    Thank you dolfrog for your reply it’s nice to hear from those of you who understand, 
    i didn’t feel very understood with this doctor, more so as I was told apd yet in the letter that come home following appointment started learning difficulties and age related to that of his learning, yet no age to what his learning age is. I wrote a 5 page letter including photos his since been referred to guys and st Thomas we are correctly in a 9 month+ wait to be seen. 
    The doctor see above thought I was trying to label my son however, it’s more of knowing and then understanding what can help or be changed to help him he does become very distressed at time. 
    His reading has come on but he struggles with writing, convos, simple things like giving me a school letter when I tell his teacher I don’t get, and explain my son is not well organised his forever being told you need to start organising yourself, we can’t do it for you. I missed his part in the play as I was not informed because there was not letter and went on the day when his class done the main parts to find he done it the day before,  which of course upsets him and me. 

Hope uou and the family are keeping well 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Those of us who have APD, cab have problems procesing whatothers say during a conversation or when trying to follow verbal instructions.
    We can have poor self organisation skills which is more aboutr having a workin memory problem which is about having to use th limite working meory capacity to run our coping strategies to work around out auditory processing limitations.
    The doctor who was concerend about labeling was probably trying to hid is ignorance regarding the issues that those of us who have APD have to live with on a daily basis. You were just trying to ask for more information, which due t his lack of knowledge he did not have.
    APD is a life long disability, and you may find my Zotero research paper compilation of some interest I also have an Evernote web page Some International Auditory Processing Disorder Research Papers The research papers are listed country by country, and includes some joint European research papers

• TLC11
    Thank you so much for this information it’s a massive help, your right he didn’t have much knowledge at all and to be honest I felt like he didn’t have time, he asked my son to draw a picture explain it why he read though his ehcp, he was not interested in home life at all,
    when he said about apd I did say does this explain why when I ask him to get dressed he will just sit there 98% of the time unless clothes are put in his hand, or when I ask him to run a bath he will not think to get in it unless I tell him. His words was it could be a normal 9 year old lazy mood. Not wanting to go to school or because tv is on. I was lost for words. 

I am so grateful for your time and help, I am going to save the link and give it a good read though when I am a little bit more awake, 

Thank you so much x 

Brightness