New problem for disabled — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New problem for disabled

Does anyone know if premiums for being disabled eg SDP are payable on Universal credit?as the UC i believe is focusing on "helping" people into work and not disability focused. Also as severity of health condition is not recognised by not having a support group verses WRG is the premium lost for SG lost on migration. Finally because the distinction of the support group and WRG is not distinguished does that mean the disabled are liable to meeting DWP policies such as visiting jobcentre meeting certain obligations to recieve benefits? just worrys me as i have fibromyalgia/ME and Complex ptsd which will probably put me in a mess and vunerable to sactions.

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I’ve asked about u c and sdp and been advised that you lose sdp on transition. I’m on jsa and currently not being pushed to transition as they say it could take up to a year to do that and they will be looking at my personal circumstances. They say I won’t be forced on to u c and that I may be better off on u c as I work part time and the rules for work are different.  I don’t see how they can make those statements when everyone is moving to u c aren’t they? 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    totally dont understand it ....really dont think the disabled fit the criteria to go on a work based benefit...i know some with disabilities can work and they are entitled to pip but this is different this is a benefit that booasts it makes people better off in work and is work focussed. my belief is that they are having to pay uc to people in work because the wages are so behind inflation and instead of dealing with that they are robbing the disabled so they dont havee to start looking at the rich and increasing their taxès and wopping salaries..god forbid they would have to be targetted! they need to get money from somewhere for the minions...ah great idea the disabled...
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    When a change of circumstances prompts a move to UC if the persons claims SDP then this premium is lost because there's no premiums paid on UC. Once managed migration starts then a transitional protection payment will be in place to make sure that we're not any worse off.

The WRAG and support group equivalent for UC is LCW and LCWRA but a person isn't classed as having LCW until they're assessed and a decision is made. A fit note from a GP or a PIP award doesn't automatically entitle you to LCW. Until you're given LCW then yes the claimant commitment applies. Some work coaches will decrease the hours but very few will turn them off completely. If they're not completely turned off then a sanction will apply if you don't complete the hours stated in your journal.

If someone moves across from ESA because of a change of circumstances before the managed migration takes place then DWP should honour the ESA award and place you into the relevant group, this doesn't always happen and many people have had problems with this.

DWP did make an announcement in June of this year to say that those who are currently claiming SDP will not have to move to UC with a change of circumstances until managed migration takes place. However, no further announcements have been made regarding this and until this time a claim for UC will happen if a person has a change of circumstances in a full UC area.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    wow poppy you know your stuff. Thankyou so much for clarifying this. I thought that wwhen you were put on UC even though you were disabled you had to agree to look for work to keep uc
    as i thought that was the commitment to recieve benefit . ive been so scared because i know i cant work.Made me feel much better...i used to have a brain but i just cant keep up at all now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks! Are you receiving ESA at the moment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    yes i am in the support group but my pip was stopped in june as only awarded it until then (3 year award by tribuneral) Dwp took all my points off me and i am worse ..now awaiting tribuneral ..just feel like the goalposts are constantly shifting and nearly 4 years of fighting for support with benefits and relevant mental health support for CPTSD my conditions are taking a.hit because of this.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.