Help !! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help !!

Options
nickyverigotta
nickyverigotta Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi
I had emergency surgery for a spinal compression 19th Dec 17. This went wrong when they left bone fragment in me which tore my spinal cord twice . I had a major cfs leak and spent the whole of christmas and New year in hospital. After 12 days they decided to do another op to repair. I finally came home on 12th Jan. On the 18th Jan I started a new job as spa manager. It was very clear that I could not do treatments due to my medical issues. As months moved on they pushed me into treatment. I ended up off sick as another disc compressed. I forced my self back to work due to not getting sick pay. My employer still pushed me into treatment. After several discussions that I could not do it they then got rid of me and said it was a budget cut. I had to apply for universal credit. As I was given a months pay and was signed off by my Gp I did not recieve any money. I tried to go back to work in a office job again my back could not take this and my Gp signed me off again.
I take a lot of pain medication including oromorph and have been referred to pain clinic. I have just had another mri and waiting to see consultant.
Universal credit have told me I have to make an appointment for a work capability assessment.  I am furious as surely they can see I have a major issue with my back. I have not recieved any money from them and I am very concerned that I will be forced into work . I need to be available to go to the pain clinic etc. I am in so much pain and now I am desperate to know what to do.

Comments

• Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    Options
    Okay, so firstly you dont need to make an appointment for a work capability assessment, you need to retrieve a sick note from your doctor and enter it into your online journal. Try to get one for 1 month, you need to ask someone to take your sick note into the job center once it has been submitted on your online journal. They will send you out a form called a UC50 and you need to fill this out and send it back, they will then send you an appointment for a work capability assessment. Once you have attended the assessment, they will assess your eligibility for extra elements on your universal credit. x 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Are you still sending in fit notes for UC? Are you still working?

When claiming LCW with a fit note from your GP it's standard procedure that everyone will be assessed, it's not just you that has to do this. You'll need evidence to support your claim for LCW and you should have received a UC50 form. Have you received this yet? When did you first send a fit note into your job centre?

Until a decision is made on your LCW it's up to your work coach whether they completely turn off your work commitments. Some lower the hours, very few turn them off completely.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nickyverigotta
    Options
    Hi

I am currently not working and I have handed in my sick note again. I have been off work since 24th September but started a job 2weeks ago hoping that I would be able to do it but it made my condition worse. My note on my journal says that I have to ring to make appointment and no I have not had Uc50 form either.
    As I said I tried to find a different position to see if that helped at all. I have been in the beauty industry for 20 years. Sadly I have a lot of damage to my cervical and lumbar due to this. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Any wages you receive during your assessment period will affect any UC you receive. If your fit note was only recently sent then it could be some time yet before you're sent for a work capability assessment. Before this happens you'll be sent the UC50 form, this will need to be filled in an returned along with all your evidence to support your claim.

Most people have a face to face assessment, as it's very rare to have a paper based assessment. Once a decision is made you could either be given LCW or LCWRA or be found fit for work.

Some information here that may help you understand the process.

When you do receive the form i'd advise you to get some help filling it in because they aren't the easiest forms to fill in.

When they assess you, you'll be assessed on your ability to do any type of work because LCW is about the work you can do, rather than the work you can't do.

Do you rent your home? Live with a partner?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • nickyverigotta
    Options
    Hi
    I have declared any earnings. I live with my husband a 2 children. We have joint application . Yes we rent our house and thats what his wages pay for. Which takes most of it.
    I do understand that I need to be seen and yes forms are not the easiest. I have had to give up a career that I love and try to find something that will work with my back. Which is not the easiest as some days I can not even stand up.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    What you can claim will depend on your partners monthly earnings. If your children are school age then you should be claiming the child element for those. The housing element of UC is payable but for this you'll need to take your tenancy agreement into your local job centre.

Here's a link for all the different UC elements. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Universal-Credit-Rates

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.