Question RE Decision Maker for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question RE Decision Maker for PIP

PIPQuestions
PIPQuestions Community member Posts: 32 Connected
Does he base his decision solely on the PIP F2P assessment or does he look at your history of PIP or other benefits such as ESA and take those into consideration ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,337 Disability Gamechanger
    They mostly go with the assessment report, it's rare to go against it. ESA and PIP are different benefits and won't help a PIP claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • PIPQuestions
    PIPQuestions Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    They mostly go with the assessment report, it's rare to go against it. ESA and PIP are different benefits and won't help a PIP claim.
    Hmm ok. My pip f2f went incredibly smooth and stress free , my ESA ones are a lot worse and cause me to have major panic attacks. With pip if I can't answer / don't know how to I say don't know and he accepted it. With ESA they just keep pushing and pushing which causes me to have panic attacks as I don't know how to answer it (end up walking out of the assessment )

Also my pip f2f seemed to focus more on my physical health problems rather than my mental health which was the main reason for applying for it ??

All very confused right now.. pip assessment seemed too good to be true in comparison to my ESA ones..

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,337 Disability Gamechanger
    They look at any DLA evidence (if you ask them to during the conversion call); the claim pack; the HCP report and anything else sent in.
    That's interesting since mostly the DM's go with the report, it's rare for them to go against it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    They look at any DLA evidence (if you ask them to during the conversion call); the claim pack; the HCP report and anything else sent in.
    That's interesting since mostly the DM's go with the report, it's rare for them to go against it.
    It's the easy option unless something is so strikingly obvious that what is in the report cannot be right.
    What case managers should do and what they do in reality are generally two totally different things. They don't have the time to wade through everything. 
    It's like saying that someone who has always been awarded High Rate Mobility for DLA you would expect that they would get at least 8 points and up to 10 points for the moving around descriptor of PIP.
    The reality is that if the assessor reports that you can walk over 200 metres then you get no points!
  • snakes2505
    snakes2505 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Best thing to do is order all you medical records from your doctor, hospital records and mental records so they have the compleat piture of you. And answer the questions simply and strait to the point.
  • Yadnad
    edited November 2018
    Best thing to do is order all you medical records from your doctor, hospital records and mental records so they have the compleat piture of you. And answer the questions simply and strait to the point.
    It really isn’t. Your medical records contain literally nothing on your functional abilities, which is the actual focus of PIP.
    In other words either a private or government/council funded O T Assessment carried out is the way to go. Maybe also a full and in depth report from a CPN or maybe a social worker.
  • Yadnad
    edited November 2018
    No, the absolute best thing is your own detailed anecdotal evidence. 
    On the assumption that the assessor/DWP actually think and believe that you are a credible claimant.

I could write a best selling book of fiction about how my life could be impacted - on the other hand I would be writing it on the basis that I am the person suffering so it could be said to be a non fictional book - but who could tell??

• Yadnad
    Credibility comes solely from detail and linking to points. Get those sorted and the fact it’s the claimant saying it adds rather than detracts.
    Of course it does but credibility can be manufactured.
    What you are saying is accepting without question that the claimant is being totally honest. There are some, and I have met a few in my time that would have you and me sometimes, believe that what they say is the truth - that is until you drill down into the 'story' in great depth - it is then than things start to unravel. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.