Why have i received an ESA3 form? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why have i received an ESA3 form?

annmr
annmr Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I recieved a letter from the DWP with enclosed form ESA3 . IT relates to the fact I'm receiving contribution based ESA which replaced Incapacity benefit. It's saying I might also be entitled to income related employment and support allowance. I transferred over from incapacity benefit in 2012. I've checked the benefit calculator and it seems to be correct so why are they asking for this. I'm aware of course of the errors in payments but why have they sent me this form, I don't think Ile get anything . Can't see how it applies to me or should I assume they know how much I'm getting and wouldn't be sending me a form if they didn't think I was entitled to a back payment. My personal circumstances did change around that date as I got divorced in 2012 so no longer had a partner. Any ideas anyone. Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @annmr   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. Understand that benefits are complex and confusing.

I do not know the answer to your question. I would suggest a member of our team or community will know.

Consider speaking to CAB about benefit enquiries.  They have got a lot of benefit knowledge and expertise. Especially form filling in.

Hope that helps.

We are a supportive, friendly community.

Please ask if we can advise some one will know.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They know how much ESA you're claiming but they wouldn't know anything else about your circumstances and they're sending those forms to all those that transferred from IB to ESA.

I'd advice you to fill it in because you never know, you may not be claiming the right amount of ESA and they could owe you a lot of money.

For Income Related top up they look at other household income (pensionx and living with a partner that works) savings and capital.

Once it's filled in and returned they contact you with a decision but this could take as long as 12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • annmr
    Thank you for your replies. I have filled the form in and will post back today,. IT seems that this could be to do with the Income related premium top up. Nothing to loose by sending it back and waiting to see what they say. Thanks again. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @annmr, glad to see you've had some guidance!
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    On the letter it states a list of things that would probably not qualify you, if none of those apply to you then I suggest filling it in and returning it, the worst that can happen is you simply stay as you are with no back payments.  Otherwise you may be due a lump sum of money when they have a look at it.  Good luck.
  • annmr
    Thank you worried33. I have returned the form as looking at the questions it would appear I do qualify. They are looking as far back as Febuary 2012. Although as I understand it are only back dating till 2014. Probably won't be due anything but I have answered all their questions and will await their reply. Thanks for replying. 
  • herbie1986
    herbie1986 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Dwp wanted it only from 2014 but then was threatened with court action then went back on there word so it's from what ever date you migrated
  • poppy123456
    They're backdating to 2011 now, not 2014.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • annmr
    Ah I didn't know that. So I did migrate in 2012. Well again no harm in form going in. Ile keep you all posted. Could be weeks before I hear anything but as I didn't expect a form knowing little about the difference between contributory and income based payments or more importantly the premium payment anything would be welcome. Thank you. 
  • debbyj
    debbyj Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi, l had a letter saying the same thing, l ported from IB to ESA 06/2012 and none of my circumstances have changed, tried to get through to them today but sat for 2 1 hour sittings on the phone without successfully speaking to anyone, l am now worried sick my payments will b stopped????? it does say that l may be due premium payment????? l also receive dla with motability component, can anyone kindly shed any light on this for me, many thanks xx
  • annmr
    I don't think they will stop any payments. You've done nothing wrong. They are just checking to see if your owed some back payments that's all. 
  • poppy123456
    Your payments won't stop. They want to assess you for the income related top up. It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. You need to fill the form it with all the information they ask for and return it. They'll either owe you money or they won't. Can take 12 weeks for a decision.

• debbyj
    hi, l had a letter saying the same thing, l ported from IB to ESA 06/2012 and none of my circumstances have changed, tried to get through to them today but sat for 2 1 hour sittings on the phone without successfully speaking to anyone, l am now worried sick my payments will b stopped????? it does say that l may be due premium payment????? l also receive dla with motability component, can anyone kindly shed any light on this for me, many thanks xx
  • debbyj
    Morning Poppy, thank you very much for the reply, L have filled in the esa3 and added copies of my dla and esa c awards, my esa is £110.75. and dla is £57.30 middle n higher mobility £59.75, l have also copied the form and had it posted registered mail, also asking for correspondence to to given in written form as l feel l can retain the information when its written down, the form and cover letter came from DWP Belfast but the returns pre-paid has a wolverhampton address, doesnt this just confuse things?? reards debbyj

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.