pip tribunal — Scope | Disability forum

pip tribunal

lyns777 Member Posts: 11 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi can you help me. my son had a appt for tribunal  but was in hospital getting surgery n his bad arm so I telephone to tell them then next min he gets a letter refused again ive since appealed them going ahead regarding my son in hospital n they knew all this any help would be appreciated thank you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,569 Disability Gamechanger

    You can't appeal a Tribunal decision unless an error in law was made. For this you need to request the statement of reasons from the Tribunal.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    Around 69% of people win their First-tier Tribunal (FTT) but if you disagree with the First-tier Tribunal decision, you can appeal to the Upper Tribunal.

    If you are eligible for legal help on income grounds, you may find a trained legal adviser or a solicitor to help with an appeal to the Upper Tribunal.
    • Civil Legal Advice can help you find a local legal service or solicitor. It can also check if you can get legal aid.
    • The Law Centres Network has a list of law centres with a Legal Aid Contract for this work.
    • Scope is not qualified to offer this level of advice.
    Read about appealing to the Upper Tribunal to help you decide whether you might have grounds for a further appeal.

    An appeal to the Upper Tribunal is likely to take about a year. You might want to consider:
    • making a new claim for the benefit you are trying to get
    • asking for another review of the current level of entitlement to that benefit.
    These are complex issues. Seek advice about your situation and whether you need to make a new claim for a benefit while appealing to the Upper Tribunal. Be aware that the Upper Tribunal often resubmits the appeal to the First-tier Tribunal.

    It’s possible to appeal to the Upper Tribunal without legal representation. Find more about finding legal advice, which also links to resources about self-representation.
    Senior online community officer


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.