How long for a pip decision - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long for a pip decision

Comments

• beeps
    beeps Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi, I’m new here and have a couple a queries I hope you can help with. I have been on the standard rate of pip and mobility fir a couple of years but due to my illness significantly worsening, I reapplied in the hope of receiving enhanced mobility. I had my f2f assessment at my home today after it being cancelled twice before. The assessor was absolutely lovely and knew a bit about my illness even though it’s quite rare, which was a relief, but she didn’t actually ask very much, a couple of questions about how I cope with meds, cooking, getting around, but not in much detail, didn’t do any physical checks. Is this because I tried to put a lot of detail in my application? I couldn’t get a docs letter as they now charge £30 which I cudnt afford, so I tried to be as detailed as possible, or is it because I already get standard pip? My other query, when she was leaving she said that I’d hear in 4-6 weeks and if there was any change “like an increase or anything” it would be backdated. I’m trying not to read too much into it but having mobility help would be life changing for me as I can’t use public transport. So, if I do get it and it’s backdated, will it just be the difference between standard and enhanced backdated to when I reapplied?
    sorry fir long post, my head is a bit mashed and didn’t think to ask her. 
    Thsnks in advance. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    beeps said:
    Hi, I’m new here and have a couple a queries I hope you can help with. I have been on the standard rate of pip and mobility fir a couple of years but due to my illness significantly worsening, I reapplied in the hope of receiving enhanced mobility. I had my f2f assessment at my home today after it being cancelled twice before. The assessor was absolutely lovely and knew a bit about my illness even though it’s quite rare, which was a relief, but she didn’t actually ask very much, a couple of questions about how I cope with meds, cooking, getting around, but not in much detail, didn’t do any physical checks. Is this because I tried to put a lot of detail in my application? I couldn’t get a docs letter as they now charge £30 which I cudnt afford, so I tried to be as detailed as possible, or is it because I already get standard pip? My other query, when she was leaving she said that I’d hear in 4-6 weeks and if there was any change “like an increase or anything” it would be backdated. I’m trying not to read too much into it but having mobility help would be life changing for me as I can’t use public transport. So, if I do get it and it’s backdated, will it just be the difference between standard and enhanced backdated to when I reapplied?
    sorry fir long post, my head is a bit mashed and didn’t think to ask her. 
    Thsnks in advance. 
    Assessment times vary and there's no set time really. No one can tell you if it's good or bad why you weren't ask many questions. I really do hope you sent in evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for evidence. It's a huge risk reporting those changes.

There's no time scales to decisions, it all depends on backlog in your area. You can risk DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report.

If your award is increased then yes it will be backdated and it will be the difference between the rate you have now and the new award. If the decision doesn't go in your favour then your payments will stop 4 weeks after the decision is made. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sahara01
    sahara01 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    I'm worried sick even although I have over 28 chronic medical conditions because if I lose my car I don't know what I will do it's my lifeline  I can't use public transport 
    Just waiting for my form to come 
    Bad enough I'm worried about my next op on 16th
    I will be asking my GP for a letter of support and stating on the form that I'm more than happy for them to contact my GP and the 3 hospital s im under but what other "medical evidence" do I need?
    This is making me so I'll
    I will be requesting a home visit!
  • wizzwoz
    wizzwoz Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    You can ring and request a copy of the assessment report. This will give you an idea of your possible award but although the DM usually takes notice of the report they are the ones who make the decision. It is a good idea to obtain the report for your records or incase you want to challenge the decision,
    Hi ive just receaved a letter off pip saying they have receaved allthe information they need to make a decision about my claim
    My pip ftf was 3 weeks ago the assesser told me it would take 2 to 3 weeks for a decision.so why am i still waiting pip carry on paying my DLA wich runs out on 8th december if they still have not made there decision will it get back dated
  • poppy123456
    There's no time scales to decisions, backlogs is just one of many reasons a decision can be delayed and it can take anything from 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer. Your DLA will continue until a decision is made on your PIP.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wizzwoz
    Oh rite i have read outher blogs saying pip only carry one paying your DLA 4 weeks after your ftf assessment.and if it takes longer to get a decition then they back date it is this true?
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    No, they pay the DLA for 4 weeks after the decision.  Then they pay PIP.  I'm pretty sure the dates and amounts of the last DLA payment and first PIP payment were on our decision letter.
  • poppy123456
    @Tardis is correct.
  • wizzwoz
    Oh right thankyou. I have read blogs about peoples pip awards are sometimes lower than what there DLA aword was and they apeald the decition n ended up looseing points?
    Im on medium rate care n high rate mobility n my condition has worsend since i applied for DLA n never botherd Telling DLA at the time as they lost my first application back in 2011 and it was all sent by special delivery then i sent a second lot same way n they lost that too my carer had to spend nearly an hour sending the lot again by email n it took 11 weeks to make a decition thats why i never told DLA of my chainges in fear of them messing up my claim
    So im hopeing its good news this time from pip i should get enhanced of both ill have to wait n see all my home is addapted and i use loads of aids ect n need care all round the clock so fingers crossed 
  • wizzwoz
    You can ring and request a copy of the assessment report. This will give you an idea of your possible award but although the DM usually takes notice of the report they are the ones who make the decision. It is a good idea to obtain the report for your records or incase you want to challenge the decision,
    Hi CockneyRebel i had my ftf pip assessment 3 weeks ago on 7th november the assessor was lovely my assessment lasted 22 minutes she said it will take between 2 to 3 weeks for a pip dection i receaved a text from DWP next day 8th november saying they had receaved the assessors report yesterday i receaved a letter from DWP confirming they had all the information they need to make a dection.
    When can i ask for a report on my assessment as i would like to know what the assessor wrote n how meany points ive scord so i can challange it if need be.
    I read that you cannot have areport untill the DM has made there dection.
    So can i give them a call today n ask for a coppy of the report?
  • poppy123456
    If you live in the UK they will send the assessment report out to you before the decision is made. I've had copies of all my reports before a decision is made.

If you live in Northern Ireland they won't send it until the decision is made.
  • wizzwoz
    Oh rite i thought u had to ring them n ask for the report
    I live in london uk ive read blogs of ppl not getting there report atall they have to request it them selves im new to pip so have no idear a few ppl i know here in uk had to rrquest there report after they were refused pip n they only give u 4 weeks to ask for a MR ill wait anouther 2 weeks and then it has been 4 months since i applyed for pip from DLA to ftf 3 weeks ago when i was told by DWP its 10 weeks from sending in the form to when u get a dection not true 
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Yes, you do need to ring them, but they should send it out straight away.  It's just in NI they don't, the rest of the UK they do.
  • poppy123456
    The time scales they tell you are just a guide. Lots of things can delay a decision. As you're transferring from DLA the good thing is your DLA is paid until a decision is made, so you're not without money. I know it's very stressful but there's nothing you can do until that decision is made, other than request a copy of the report.
  • Louley
    Louley Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    We had f2f Oct 10th still waiting on a decision, just over 7 weeks so far. 
  • sahara01
    Had my pip home assessment Monday 
    DWP received it on Wednesday 
    Not sure whether to ring them for my report?
    I'm in uk. Was told it will take 6 weeks for a decision. All so stressful 
    The lady who came out was very helpful and tried to help as much as possible 
    I have 30 chronic medical conditions and under 5 hospitals 
  • poppy123456
    sahara01 said:
    Had my pip home assessment Monday 
    DWP received it on Wednesday 
    Not sure whether to ring them for my report?
    I'm in uk. Was told it will take 6 weeks for a decision. All so stressful 
    The lady who came out was very helpful and tried to help as much as possible 
    I have 30 chronic medical conditions and under 5 hospitals 
    You can ring DWP anytime for a copy of the report to be sent to you. Decision times vary and can be anything from 2-8 weeks sometimes longer. Not sure who told you it will take 6 weeks.
  • sahara01
    Was assessor who came out who told me it was 6 weeks 
    Think I'll ring 2m try to get my report 
  • Louley
    Louley Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    @poppy123456 I was also told  6 weeks also by the assessor 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The decision is out of the hands of the assessor, how long it takes is down to the backlog or delay in the office hadling your claim
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.