ESA underpayment next steps — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA underpayment next steps

Options
sipcia
sipcia Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello,
My son has been underpaid ESA since 2015/june2018, he took a part time job in July but only managed 3 shifts and was unable to continue so reclaimed ESA on August 10th 2018. When we reclaimed the advisor told us he had never have his medical assessment for his previous claim and was owed arrears. I have been trying to claim these arrears to be told he won't be getting them because he is not entitled to it and sadly he was just overlooked. I am not happy with this and want to fight that decision because if we owed the money they would want it back. please can anyone advise me on the next steps to take.

pam

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sipcia, and a warm welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear about what you and your son have been facing. We have some experienced members and benefits advisors here who will hopefully be along to offer some guidance with this. 
  • sipcia
    Options
    Thankyou for your response and hello, I would be most grateful to hear from an advisor. Thankyou again
    Pam
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I just replied to your post on the other thread. You need to find out if it was a new claim or a rapid reclaim. I think the problem here is that he may have made a new claim for ESA, where he should have made a rapid reclaim. The first thing you need to do is find out which claim he made and then go to your local CAB or welfare rights for further advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sipcia
    Options
    Type Thanks for replying im not too savvi with computer works, when Reuben reclaimed we were sent out all the forms to fill in and a WCA form. When i spoke with the lady last week she said he had been putt on a rapid reclaim so im not really sure or clear about it. comment
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If it's definitely a rapid reclaim then the both claims are linked and there should be no reason why he should be backdated all the money he's owed from the 14th week of the claim from when he originally claimed ESA. My advise is you should still speak to either your local CAB or welfare rights for further advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sipcia
    Options
    Thankyou so much

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.