Changing assessment centre Capita — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changing assessment centre Capita

lucy14
lucy14 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
Hi
If I ring and request to change my assessment centre will capita rearrange my appointment there and then on the phone...or send out another date.
I live very close to the Coventry centre and they have sent me an appointment for Birmingham.
Thank you.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Most likely send another appointment letter, if they are willing to change venues. Doesn’t make sense sometimes what should be common sense doesn’t prevail. If they won’t budge get a taxi there and back and claim your exspences stating why you needed a taxi was due to unfamiliar surroundings and an anxiety about travelling so far alone, you know what I mean. Good luck.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You can certainly ask for an appointment in the centre that's closer to you. A lot of the time, first appointments are computer generated so it will give the first available appointment, rather than chose the centre closet to you.

If you need a taxi then you do need to ask for this before the assessment because if you request the expenses on the assessment day they could refuse. Fares for public transport can of course be claimed back without any problems.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lucy14
    Hi thanks for your replies..
    My friend would drive me there or we could get the train..but it would be to much walking for me as there is no parking or an 8min walk from train station...it's really stressing me thinking about it...
    Will give them a ring and see what they say x
  • poppy123456
    Remember that you can only cancel an appointment once, so this will count as a cancellation so think before agreeing to the next one, if they offer you another over the phone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lucy14
    Thanks Poppy so if I don't agree to one over the phone would that count as a cancellation too...
    The only time I would have to refuse would be consultant appointment but only got the one before Xmas x
  • poppy123456
    If you ring to cancel the current appointment then it counts.
  • lucy14
    Thank you all...
    My friend is going to drive me..
    I am going to put a new post up and ask for tips on being dropped off as the nearest car park is a 2 minute walk but I imagine it would not include getting out of the car park and into the building so would be to much for me ...
    Or more like an hours walk..?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You can certainly ask for an appointment in the centre that's closer to you. A lot of the time, first appointments are computer generated so it will give the first available appointment, rather than chose the centre closet to you.

If you need a taxi then you do need to ask for this before the assessment because if you request the expenses on the assessment day they could refuse. Fares for public transport can of course be claimed back without any problems.
    But surely the over riding factor in this is that you are required to travel by any means to an assessment centre that is no further away than a 90 minute journey time.

As an example and living in the South East. according  to travel time they should be sending claimants from say Ashford in Kent to London. The train takes 45 mins, so provided that the bit either side (home to station and station to assessment centre would take no more than another 45 mins there is no reason why people living in Ashford cannot be seen in North London a distance of over 100 miles in total. 
  • poppy123456
    Nope, you're still within your rights and you can cancel an appointment once. A lot of people are unable to travel that distance, whether it's physical conditions or otherwise.
  • Yadnad
    Maybe, but according to the contract that the DWP have with their contractors it is permissible for them to simply look at the distance factor only.
    No consideration as to whether the claimant can actually make that journey is featured in any of the guidance material.

So in a way the contractors are doing people a favour by allocating a centre nearer to where they live - they are not obliged to agree to such a request.

Yes everyone has the opportunity to cancel the assessment for whatever reason. However if the claimant makes reference to EA 10 on the basis that they are requesting it then the contractor has to comply.

I would also point out that this 'one' only change has no basis in law or legislation.  It is something dreamed up by the DWP. 
  • lucy14
    Thanks for your replies...
    I am keeping the appointment my friend is driving me..
    Travel time using public transport is just under 90 mins according to their calculations.

• Yadnad
    lucy14 said:
    Thanks for your replies...
    I am keeping the appointment my friend is driving me..
    Travel time using public transport is just under 90 mins according to their calculations.

….which is within the guidelines.
  • lucy14
  • Yadnad
    lucy14 said:
    Just lol x
    …..give or take a minute or two.
  • lucy14
  • C_Herath2009
    C_Herath2009 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    What are exceptional curcumstances (Would a train accident thats landed you in hospital 3 months and given you PTSD ????)Be one i b........Hope so this is turning into more off a nightmare every second i canot go near a train let alone travel to Wembly via one
  • C_Herath2009
    I going to be more than sweating and i would be a jibbering wreck ...Wembly is miles away i live in Kent(further away than Ashford)My Dad he is 80 sugested we go call and collect another form (Until i said it was Wembly)Ekkk ?‍♀️
  • C_Herath2009
    Being run over by a high speed train ?And your friend dying saving you?I seriously canot get on a train watching one gives me a Panic Attack so what do i do get them to spell it out to them that i am likely to end up having a nervous Breakdown or get a Taxi?)My Dad is 80 he can't drive to Wembly ..Would kill us both off plus with a stroke the year after i would be stuffed?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.