Received Capacity to work for — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Received Capacity to work for

toby52002
toby52002 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hi,  today I have received a new capacity to work form and asked to complete and send back in less than 4 weeks.

ive been on ESA contribution based (Support section) for around 5 years I get £112 every week.  Why would they be asking for me to complete another Capacity to Work form after 5 years?  Also all my evidence related back to 5 years ago from consultants etc.  I have got worse and developed new life threatening illnesses which I can provide evidence of but all my mobility issues I’ve not seen consultants for over 5 years as there is nothing they can do.

Please can you advise thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They can re-assess you at anytime for ESA and as you haven't been re-assessed in 5 years then i think you've been extremely lucky to have gone this long without being contacted.

You will need to fill out the form and return it will all your evidence no later than the date stated in the letter, there's no extra time for filling out ESA50 forms. If it's not returned by that date then you risk being found fit for work for failing to return the form.

Expect another face to face assessment as most people have them. It would be worth knowing the reasons why you were originally placed into the Support Group, then you can base your claim on that.

Support Group descriptors and reg 35 can be found in the links above. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • toby52002
    toby52002 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you Poppy123456 last time I did not have to have an face to face assessment as they contacted my GP for information.  Do you think it may be a good idea to speak with my GP as I do not know what the DWP asked my GP?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    It won't do any harm to speak to your GP but don't rely on them contacting your GP or anyone else for evidence because it's very rare that they do this. The onus is always on you to make sure evidence is sent to support your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • clarkjohnson
    clarkjohnson Community member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    Hello I had an health assessment and was found in there words fit to do some form of work I'm 63 worked over 40 years until cancer I told them I was mentally and physically tired it  seems that don't mean anything who wants to employ someone who is basically worn out how can this be right seems they just want us to die it stinks don't you think 
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    I agree with @poppy123456, 5 years for ESA standards is a very long time.  You seem to have benefited from at least one deferral as usually the upper limit is a 3 year review date.  I am not saying its good they reviewing you, but you are one of the lucky ones to get a 5 year gap.  Once the process starts it is important you follow it, so fill in the ESA50, and supply any evidence you have as well.

Not returning the form is treated very seriously, the most likely outcome would be found fit for work "without" an assessment.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.