Horrendous pip appeal yesterday - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Horrendous pip appeal yesterday

2»

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    What i don't understand is if CAB failed to contact you why on earth didn't you chase them about it? Yet again my mind really does boggle.
    Put it this way, when I make a promise to contact someone by a certain date I will always make that contact. I expect the same in return. It doesn't bode well if you have to keep reminding someone to contact you despite a promise that they would but failed.

• Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    But you aren't doing them a favour.  You needed their help.  You should have made sure you got it.
  • justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Yadnad said:
    You really do make life hard for yourself yadnad.....
    Has no clue what to do or who to listen to but somehow knows when advisers are not advising him correctly. One increasingly suspects that it’s not so much a case of there not being advice where he lives as advice agencies simply declining to deal with him. 

Quite literally needs to go to an advice service and let them get on with it. 
    Advising correctly?

My history with the local advisory services has left me either miss trusting their (CROP) ability aka my wife's AA claim & appeal, (CAB) failing to contact me when promised leaving me having to complete the PIP2 on my own, the inability to answer questions(AgeUK) and being told they only help fill out forms.

No one has declined to deal with me, it's the service that I have had, or lack of it, that has caused the problem.  
    Hi Yadnad
    Like I have said in my previous post I have had totally different experiences with both DWP and advice agencies. I had been left to deal with my MR appeal and all the PIP forms previously with no support, also claiming benefits in new to me as I have always worked until my health prevented me to do so. I understand that you have not had the support you really needed. This was the same for me until I came across a different agency who have bent over backwards for me. I have also seen that I maybe able to get representation for my tribunal if the advice agency refers me to a law agency which is training law students in their final year, like work experience for the students. Depending on where you live, I live in Bradford I would be able to give you the contact details as from my experience are brilliant and they do know the law and all information you need for benefits from start to finish.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    I think we're fighting a losing battle here because what ever we say or do there will always be a negative response.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Tardis said:
    But you aren't doing them a favour.  You needed their help.  You should have made sure you got it.
    Sorry but I don't agree. The CAB like most companies and agencies that are in part funded by the residents of the area via their council tax have a duty of care.
    Besides which good manners also play a part.

• Yadnad
    edited December 2018
    justg72 said:
    Yadnad said:
    You really do make life hard for yourself yadnad.....
    Has no clue what to do or who to listen to but somehow knows when advisers are not advising him correctly. One increasingly suspects that it’s not so much a case of there not being advice where he lives as advice agencies simply declining to deal with him. 

Quite literally needs to go to an advice service and let them get on with it. 
    Advising correctly?

My history with the local advisory services has left me either miss trusting their (CROP) ability aka my wife's AA claim & appeal, (CAB) failing to contact me when promised leaving me having to complete the PIP2 on my own, the inability to answer questions(AgeUK) and being told they only help fill out forms.

No one has declined to deal with me, it's the service that I have had, or lack of it, that has caused the problem.  
    Hi Yadnad
    Like I have said in my previous post I have had totally different experiences with both DWP and advice agencies. I had been left to deal with my MR appeal and all the PIP forms previously with no support, also claiming benefits in new to me as I have always worked until my health prevented me to do so. I understand that you have not had the support you really needed. This was the same for me until I came across a different agency who have bent over backwards for me. I have also seen that I maybe able to get representation for my tribunal if the advice agency refers me to a law agency which is training law students in their final year, like work experience for the students. Depending on where you live, I live in Bradford I would be able to give you the contact details as from my experience are brilliant and they do know the law and all information you need for benefits from start to finish.
    please do so - I live just outside Canterbury, Kent. They sound like just what I need.
  • Tardis
    @yadnad, mikehughescq explained above reasons why advice agencies might not have all the time in the world available to stick to Yadnad's Etiquette.  If you want their help, chase them.  If you don't, then don't.  But quit moaning about it.
  • ricky1040
    ricky1040 Community member Posts: 121 Pioneering
    Ahhh this is an ongoing theme lol. The mike yadnad saga. If nothing else reading this has give me entertainment on a boring rainy sunday. 
  • Yadnad
    Tardis said:
    @yadnad, mikehughescq explained above reasons why advice agencies might not have all the time in the world available to stick to Yadnad's Etiquette.  If you want their help, chase them.  If you don't, then don't.  But quit moaning about it.
    I'm not moaning, just pointing out what I consider to be good practice and manners.

I would imagine that if you were thinking of buying something and telephoned to enquire about it and was told that they were busy at the moment but that someone would ring you back but didn't what would you do?

Chase them until you had the answer which would possibly leave you thinking that they aren't that interested in you as a customer - or would you just find someone else that also sells the same goods taking the point that the they have lost a good customer to a rival firm?  
  • ricky1040
    ricky1040 Community member Posts: 121 Pioneering
    Yadnad one person does not a company make. Sounds like youve had a bad experience but not everyone is like minded and some fantastic servicea and advisors out there.. this is unless it really is based on ur attitude as suggested by your sparring partner. If thats the case you cant expect the world to owe u a favour. But i dont know u to judge that. 
  • Tardis
    No, they are not that interested in you as a customer.  They have more customers than they can handle to your standards of politeness.  I don't suppose they are losing any sleep over the loss of one awkward customer!
  • Yadnad
    ricky1040 said:
    Yadnad one person does not a company make. Sounds like youve had a bad experience but not everyone is like minded and some fantastic servicea and advisors out there.. this is unless it really is based on ur attitude as suggested by your sparring partner. If thats the case you cant expect the world to owe u a favour. But i dont know u to judge that. 
    To be honest I don't believe that anybody is owed anything in life. Life is what you make it. However everybody has principles and lines drawn in the sand.

With three of the main national advice agencies having left me with a sour taste in my mouth either because they don't understand what a diary is, or what was a complete failure on their part to give the service that was offered.

I try to be a considerate, honest and understanding guy. Unfortunately I expect the same in return.
    It really is a loss of faith in people and agencies that has caused this issue.
  • Yadnad
    There’s no comparison to buying something to be made at all. What you do next when buying something will depend on whether it’s available elsewhere etc. You’re not (usually) buying advice. You’re asking for access to a finite resource and to be made a priority, if you’re not instantly made a priority and you then elect to prove that by walking away then there’s not an advice service in the country that would chase you. Your line in the sand is nothing more than an excuse to walk away and publicly feel hard dine by. 
    As for being a priority, I had already asked the DWP for an extension for the PIP2 to be returned - I was given 7 days. I had already contacted the CAB and was told to wait for a telephone call to arrange an appointment. That call never came and the time was running on. Hence why I had to send the PIP2 back after filling it out myself..

I didn't expect to be a priority, I had previously told them that time was running short - they told me to apply for an extension which I did.

• Yadnad
    Sorry Mike but once again I had no idea that was possible. I wonder how many others are aware that you can ask for any number of extensions
    No to be honest it never did - I thought probably like many many others that a deadline is a deadline.
    Who should I have complained to and about what - the lack of a returned telephone call? My main concern at that time was to get the form back before the date given as most do.
    You are a mind full of excellent advice and information which is what I have always said. And it is a shame that the ordinary punter doesn't have this same knowledge.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that if you went onto another forum like this and gave all of this information the majority would be shocked to hear it.

In my mind I have followed the instructions as laid down by the DWP - much like most others do. What else am I supposed to do, read the regulations, case law etc Come on none of us, including myself are experts in this benefit system.  We just do what seems to be the right thing at the time - we just plod through trying to do what appears at the time to be the way forward. 

As for being some sort of troll - you are way off.

I am a confused individual suffering from some awful conditions doped up and trying to get through life. Now if I am wrong with the way I have handled things then I was wrong - but without prior advice to the contrary there was little more that I could have done.

So if you think of me of some sort of saddo then OK, luckily for some they may well have received advice like you give years ago which has helped but surely you can't blame me for doing what I thought was the right way?

I'll drop out of this conversation now as well as other similar contentious ones so as to give you peace.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @Username_removed and @Yadnad - these sorts of arguments are really not helpful to members coming here and asking questions.  I appreciate that the two of you disagree on many things but I need to ask you that if you can't be polite to one another, to use the ignore feature.

Lots of members come here in crisis and when their posts become filled with arguments between two members, it is very off putting and can cause additional stress at a time when they least need it.

We appreciate you both as members of our community, we love to see your support of members and know you have both been so helpful, but please think about your tone and language towards eachother and understand it can be very unpleasant to other members to see this bickering.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Yadnad
    Sam_Scope said:
    @Username_removed and @Yadnad - these sorts of arguments are really not helpful to members coming here and asking questions.  I appreciate that the two of you disagree on many things but I need to ask you that if you can't be polite to one another, to use the ignore feature.

Lots of members come here in crisis and when their posts become filled with arguments between two members, it is very off putting and can cause additional stress at a time when they least need it.

We appreciate you both as members of our community, we love to see your support of members and know you have both been so helpful, but please think about your tone and language towards eachother and understand it can be very unpleasant to other members to see this bickering.
    Noted, and I have already stated that I will back out of these contentious threads for the sake of peace amongst us all..

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.