ESA: Will compensation go against me or be classified as savings? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA: Will compensation go against me or be classified as savings?

divadi
divadi Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Just a query I have received this esa3 form to fill in as I was transferred from contribution based incapacity to contribution based esa a long time ago the form asks as far back as 2012 my husband has been out of work since 2013 due to work accident he is also on contribution based esa he received £25k compensation in 2017 will that go against me? Will they class that as savings? We used a large chunk to pay off mortgage and some for window and door replacement....not sure which way to go with this I’m thinking just tick one of the three boxes or fill in and clock ticking when it’s to be sent by.

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    Hi @divadi

welcome to the community ?

Hope you find the information your looking for

I’m afraid I can’t help you with your question about benefits as I don’t have experience I don’t with this however I can point you in the right direction to the advice your looking for. I suggest looking at this link about ESA https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance 

I hope this is in someway helpful to you there is always the scope helpline they will be able to give you more advice as will other community members we are here to help. 
  • divadi
    divadi Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks for the welcome pink princess ? I had a look on that link but I’m afraid it didn’t answer my question :/ 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @divadi Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank your joining and sharing.

Benefits are confusing and complex. Understand there will be members of our community. Who will advise you or a member of our team.

One suggestion I have is to speak to CAB.  Your local office for benefit information and form filling in.

Also to help and advise with anything else that you wish to discuss. Regarding your savings.

Something to consider.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    @divadi

sorry about that you will find the right advice for you I’m sorry I was no help a welcoming at least.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,350 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes the £25,000 will be classed as savings when assessing any means tested benefits, such as an income related top up. It will be counted from the day you received it into your bank.

As your husband also claims Contributions based ESA this will also be counted when assessing the Income related top up.

You will need to put all the information in the form and you'll be assessed by DWP. Decisions can take 12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.