ESA but which one? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA but which one?

Options
JayJay123
JayJay123 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi there.

I have an award letter for ESA (27th November) and I'm in the support group, but I'm unsure as to whether I'm receiving income or contribution based ESA, as the letter doesn't state this clearly. 

The letter says I have been entitled to a transitional addition since I was moved from Incapacity benefit and I have been awarded a sum of money. The letter also states that this assessment is based on your National Insurance Contribution record. 

The next page says I have an income related amount... however because you are entitled to contribution based ESA we will pay you.... but it says the amounts of this page apply from September 2013 to November 2013. 

So now I'm confused. Can someone please help? Thanking you in advance. 
Jay

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you transferred from IB then you'll be on Contributions based but it's possible that you may have the income related top up on this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JayJay123
    Options
    Thank you for the information, @poppy123456. :)
    I hope that's the case. It would be nice if they made these letters clearer! 

I hate to think I'm going to have to telephone to clarify this information, I can't sit very long waiting for someone to answer the phone and in the past I've had to wait 3/4 of an hour or more. Does anyone know how long it would take for a reply if I write and ask for this information? That might be a better idea.

Jay
  • JayJay123
    Options
    I'm worried that this means my entitlement to Council tax and rent support will change! 
  • JayJay123
    Options
    Well, in the end, I just had to phone them. Almost an hour to answer the phone... but I got clarification at last!  And they are sending a letter of entitlement out shortly, which will state what ESA  I'm getting and how it's made up. They said I should have had one of these, but I never received it. I just thought I would let everyone know.  As Poppy thought, it's a bit of both. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.