ESA but which one? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA but which one?

Hi there.

I have an award letter for ESA (27th November) and I'm in the support group, but I'm unsure as to whether I'm receiving income or contribution based ESA, as the letter doesn't state this clearly. 

The letter says I have been entitled to a transitional addition since I was moved from Incapacity benefit and I have been awarded a sum of money. The letter also states that this assessment is based on your National Insurance Contribution record. 

The next page says I have an income related amount... however because you are entitled to contribution based ESA we will pay you.... but it says the amounts of this page apply from September 2013 to November 2013. 

So now I'm confused. Can someone please help? Thanking you in advance. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,253 Disability Gamechanger
    As you transferred from IB then you'll be on Contributions based but it's possible that you may have the income related top up on this.
  • JayJay123
    JayJay123 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Thank you for the information, @poppy123456. :)
    I hope that's the case. It would be nice if they made these letters clearer! 

    I hate to think I'm going to have to telephone to clarify this information, I can't sit very long waiting for someone to answer the phone and in the past I've had to wait 3/4 of an hour or more. Does anyone know how long it would take for a reply if I write and ask for this information? That might be a better idea.

  • JayJay123
    JayJay123 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    I'm worried that this means my entitlement to Council tax and rent support will change! 
  • JayJay123
    JayJay123 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Well, in the end, I just had to phone them. Almost an hour to answer the phone... but I got clarification at last!  And they are sending a letter of entitlement out shortly, which will state what ESA  I'm getting and how it's made up. They said I should have had one of these, but I never received it. I just thought I would let everyone know.  As Poppy thought, it's a bit of both. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.