Pay while waiting for reasonable adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pay while waiting for reasonable adjustments

PositiveThinker
PositiveThinker Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited January 2019 in Work and employment
Hi. After a long period of being off sick my GP recently signed me as being fit for work, subject to my employer making reasonable adjustments.  The adjustments are not yet in place. My employer is not paying me and is marking me as absent/off sick because they say I'm not currently working. Should my employer be doing this? I thought I was entitled to full pay while waiting for the reasonable adjustments. Also, how long does my employer have to put reasonable adjustments in place? Thanks.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this @PositiveThinker, that sounds like a really frustrating situation. Hopefully one of our employment advisors will be in touch soon and able to advise.

In the meantime, this ACAS resource on reasonable adjustments may be helpful!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @PositiveThinker
    What has your work said about the reasonable adjustments? How long will it take to sort it?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    You are being discriminated against and abused by your employer @PositiveThinker .
    I suggest that you contact ACAS as soon as you can.
  • Shara21
    Shara21 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    My employer has told me that reasonable adjustments cannot be made- this would of beenchanging rotas for me to work days only. We contracted to changed hours of needed. No one was asked if they could change their work hours to accommodate. And now I have been told ssp is the best to claim. No other financial support had,even whilst looking at the assessment OH gave. Is this usual practice? My health at present is at risk by lone working my OH stated. No costs would be accrued by changing Rota to assist me to work. I feel that I am being victimised for loss of earnings as they not looking positively to implement the changes. Am I legally bound to be paid by company due to capability to work it this impeded by them. Sorry I do harp on. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome @Shara21

There is no legal obligation to pay you for hours you are unable to work but as suggested if you are off sick then you are entitled to ssp if you are eligible 

Some companies have a disability leave policy to pay employees if they are off due to their disability but again this isn't a legal requirement 

I would appeal the decision to not grant you reasonable adjustments if you think their reason isn't valid 

Are you in a union at all if not you might want to visit acas website yo get further advice 

Brightness