Recording PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recording PIP assessment

Oratory
Oratory Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello Can I ask if anyone else has been told that they have to fill a form in before being able to record their home assessment,  but more importantly have they been told that it Must be recorded on TWO old tech tape recorders and one tape must be given to the assessor ?   I was due to have my PIP assessment last Tuesday at my home. Because I have previously had bad experiences with Capita and had lost my PIP even though my conditioned has worsened. The assessor did not have any knowledge of one of my conditions ( Fibromyalgia)  and when I went to tell her what it is she just said "I haven't got time for that as I only have 45 minutes and I have another appointment after this. She was only interested in ticking boxes. The reports were wrong and even my doctor and councillor couldn't understand why they refused me. This time I gave even more evidence including a letter from my GP to advise my conditions are chronic and would only worsen and they advise I am unfit for work  plus a report from an independant doctor from my company pension, the fact I'm using a Buprenorphine patch, Liquid Oramorph, Pregablin plus  other meds but they still insist on a face to face.  I still need to find and buy two tape recorders and tapes and I am not getting any benefits at all. It's unfair that the onus is on a disabled person to find this old tech which hardly anyone owns anymore. I pointed this out when I rang Capita and suggested that as they insist on taping this way then perhap they should provide the equipment. Sorry for the long post but I am still  really frustrated. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    What was the reason the assessment was canceled? was it because you were going to record it and didn't ask permission in time?

What you've been told is correct. You need to ring the health assessment providers to get permission to record the assessment. You must use two CD/tape recorders and produce two identical copies. Tape recorders are available from argos. In all honesty it's pointless recording a face to face assessment. You're much better off concentrating on gathering some evidence to prove how your conditions affect your ability to carry out the activities based on the PIP descriptors.

What you stated above does give any reasons why you should score any points at all. PIP isn't about not being fit for work. People claim PIP and work. It's not about a diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect you.

A letter from your GP with such vague information isn't evidence. Evidence need to state exactly how your conditions affect you. When filling out a PIP form on the front of the form there's 2 list stating what they want to see and what they don't want to see. Supporting letters from a GP and future appointment letters are at least 2 of the things they don't want to see. The reason being is because it doesn't state how you're affected. The onus is on you to prove those descriptors apply and not their responsibility to prove you qualify.

A health assessment provider doesn't need to have any specific knowledge on a condition because all conditions affect people differently.

There's never enough of time during any face to face assessment to go through absolutely everything, that's what the forms are for. The more information you put onto the form the better your chances of having an award.

Most people have face to face assessments for PIP and ESA, it's very rare to have a paper based decision.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 27 Connected
    With respect it's not pointless recording assessment. Get all the medical information  you want. On the day the what you say to the assessor is vital and if they don't put that in their report or contradict what you have said you have no chance. So record it and if the assessor lies at least how you say your condition affects you will be the basis of an MR or tribunal and the truth will out. Good luck because believe it or not some of these assessors are corrupt also some are good it's a lottery
  • [Deleted User]
    Correct it doesn't guarantee anything but if your condition impacts on your daily activities and you have explained that to the assessor and your evidence backs up your conditions but the assessor contradicts your statement because they are corrupt. Then taping is your proof. 3 times I have taped assessments 3 times they have lied and 3 times I won at MR coincidence I don't think so. I would have gone to a tribunal. More wait ing more stress because they lied. Meet Christmas everyone
  • [Deleted User]
    Oratory I don't know if you have done a MR but if you are doing or have done a MR if not go to the DWP site and find criteria guidielines for assessments for HP. Section face to face assessments. You say that the HP in your home visit did not have any knowledge about fibromyalgia and stated she did not have time for that. That statement is the sort of thing you want to write in your defence and look for others in which you feel like she was unreliable and unfair. Dwp guidelines state that face to face a HP MUST have read your medical evidence and if she does not know what a condition is how can she possibly know how it might impact on your daily living and if it is degenerative then that has a bearing how it is reported. Basically your looking for inconsistencies too prove the HP was unreliable and unfair. The HP evidence passes the info onto a Decision maker and how can a DM make a decision if all the evidence is innacurate. That is why I say tape not just in case the HP lies but to correctly base your case to MR or tribunal otherwise it's you word against theirs and a tribunal may be avoided. I believe ALL interviews should be taped to protect all parties. Let's be honest the numerous cases I've read on here are nothing short cases shameful. People saying the HP has fabriacted lies. The stress and hardship they have caused by forcing people to go to MR and tribunal is a disgrace. Again the vulnerable are the ones who suffer. This site is opinions and some have their own agenda and before get people writing I'm not naming names so don't send hateful messages to me. Again look at the criteria and find points foe your case. In my opinion your HP was unfair and not listening if she said she had another appt to go to. An assessment takes as long as is needed and their own criteria states that you MUST be heard check it out all the best
  • [Deleted User]
    Stop trying to find faults in what I'm writing to oratory. You want to criticise and find faults fine but it's not about you and me. I addressed some of his points and if you don't think not knowing about a condition and not having the time is professional and unfair and telling the claimant that they have another appt in 45 mins is acceptable then let's agree to disagree. I believe recording would have been good in his case im not here to convince you. Your MUST and SHOULD argument is insulting whose side are you on...really. Any assessment that takes longer because it needs transcribing then fine as long as the right decision is made. It's not like going to an MR and Tribunal is a quick process. When I think there is a large number of people who attend tribunals that should never get to that stage shouldn't we be looking at why does that happen and finding a way to stop the hurt and stress. It appears they do hear but are not listening. Your physio remark I'm really not getting it. I don't need you quoting me what I've said. I told oratory to check the DWP site out himself before he appeals not to put what I say as u would state verbatim. Im trying to help if he doesnt take my advice thats fine because thats all it is advice. He sounded upset and scared so givng him the links is a great idea well done more positivity please. Merry Christmas and please don't comment on this because I will not counter any negativity toward me when I am only trying to help. I dont know anybody that has 10 year award but you obviously do.
    I do know people who had DLA for life then under PIP had it taken away and awarded nothing only to be given it back at tribunal. I am closing my account from today because i didn't come on for an argument or put downs. All the best Merry Christmas
  • [Deleted User]
    For oratory only the word SHOULD is all throughout the pip criteria for HPs. Therefore they can say do or write what they want so again please tape in future. It is as Michael says at their discretion so is open to corruption. Wishing you all the best.
  • [Deleted User]
    No comment your not listening. Goodbye
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Please keep in mind our community rules, you may disagree with another member, but please consider your tone and language.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness