Help needed please uc pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help needed please uc pip

lee2018
lee2018 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
My local job center is a waste of time with questions i have asked so i thought i would try here.
I am claiming UC at the min and i live with my mom , who is ill with copd and heart failure and last week she had her pip assessment, we both have fingers crossed about the out come , we are hoping for the following .  Daily living - standard rate £57.30 and Mobility - enhanced rate £59.75 per week.
Mom claims ESA high rate .

What i would like to know what happens with payments ? is the pip on top of my UC and moms ESA  , as the job center said i can then be named as a carer as i do more than 35hours aweek and wont need to be doing job searchs and going into the job center .

thanks alot .

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Your mum's ESA and PIP have nothing to do with your UC claim. They're completely separate benefits for 2 different people.

If your mum's awarded daily living PIP and you care for her for at least 35 hours per week then you'll be able to claim the carers element of UC (£156 per month) if you claim this then job searches should be turned off because of you being a carer. Of course you won't be able to claim this until a decision's been made on the PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lee2018
    carers element of UC (£156 per month) so this means my UC will stop ? along side going to the jobcenter and doing job searches ect ?
    So the pip payments are to put my monthy money back up to what i am getting now ?
    what happens to mums ESA ?

what im asking will we be better off or out of pocket ?
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    The carers element is on top of your UC as poppy12345 has just said the pip and esa are your mothers 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2018
    @lee2018 The UC is your money not your mum's. The £156 carers element is paid extra with your UC monthly payment.

The ESA is your mum's not yours. If your mum is awarded PIP then it's her money not yours and will be paid separately to her ESA money and is paid every 4 weeks. It will be her PIP money not yours.

The best thing to do is come back and post your questions if your mum is awarded the daily living part of PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lee2018
    ok great , i will post back in around 5 weeks as they said it can take upto 6 weeks . Thanks for the help .
  • poppy123456
    Your mother can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the PIP assessment report. This will give her some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the recommendations in the report. Decision times can be anything from 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer. Could be longer this time of year with Christmas just around the corner.
  • lee2018
    Your mother can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the PIP assessment report. This will give her some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the recommendations in the report. Decision times can be anything from 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer. Could be longer this time of year with Christmas just around the corner.

ok thanks but she is unable to call them as this morning she will be rushed into hospical for the 2nd time in 3 weeks due to her breathing , and inlarged heart.we will just wait for the outcome.  The PIP assessment went well compared to when she had hers for ESA and scored ZERO. And when she went to the  tribunal the doctors and judge said they had no idea why she wasnt scored correct and she shouldnt be there she was ony in the room for 4 mins.

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this @lee2018, I hope you're both okay. You're in our thoughts. 
  • lee2018
    Thanks for the help in this thread but it is no longer needed as mum passed away early hours this morning .   thanks alot .
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I'm so sorry to hear that. My sincere condolences 
  • Zenkoblue
    Zenkoblue Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Omg so sorry to hear I hope things won,t be hard on you. My condolences 
  • poppy123456
    I'm so sorry to hear this! My condolences.
  • lee2018
    Thanks for the comments. 
  • lee2018
    just a little update day after boxing day mum had a letter ,  she had passed and was awarded daily living  and high rate mobility , also a back date payment has been sent for just over 2k . from aug when we made the claim untill 21th dec 2018 .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.