Pip tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip tribunal

Barlow88
Barlow88 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Got my pip tribunal next week and I'm already feeling nervous about it 

Comments

• justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Hi Barlow88
    Its normal to feel nervous, I am waiting for mine and I know I will be the same just before. In fact I think the whole process f\rom start to finish is really stressful. I would try to stay positive. Have you had any help from an advisor regarding your tribunal? have they said you have a strong case? I hope it goes well for you. Good luck and let us know how it went if you can. Keep your chin up, fingers crossed. Lets hope you get awarded what you have been fighting for.
  • judy21
    judy21 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Do you have to appear at a tribunal that would just freak me out especially after having a bad accessor could you just forward your evidence 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    judy21 said:
    Do you have to appear at a tribunal that would just freak me out especially after having a bad accessor could you just forward your evidence 
    Yes, for the best chance of a decision going in your favour, it's better to appear in person. The Tribunal will to hear from you in your own words how your condition affects you and they won't be able to do this without appearing in person.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • judy21
    But I’m one of those people that could be dying and I don’t look I’ll never have and feel I get judged for that as the assecor did ?
  • poppy123456
    Lots of other people also suffer from invisible conditions but appearing in person will give you the best chance. A Tribunal are a lot more understanding that DWP and any HCP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • judy21
    Judy just feel she judged me and then changed lots of stuff I’ve always been a string person and hard to change that even when it all goes wrong I’m half of what I was but to someone that doesn’t know me prob thinks I’m fine 
  • poppy123456
    Again it's the same for a lot of people. It's your responsibility to prove those descriptors apply to you. Remember PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out the activities based on the PIP descriptors.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Many of us find ways to manage and cope with our conditions, but that does not mean that our lives are not impacted on.
    You may well do certain things in a different way to other people. It might take you longer or leave you needing to rest.
    Also remember that you must be able to complete the activity Safely,  repeatedly and for the majority of time  for that descriptor to apply
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    judy21 said:
    I have a great deal of sympathy for those that are finding going to a tribunal stressful and over whelming. Sometimes people don't understand this. Some claimants give up at that stage because of what is involved. 
    I am hoping that the roll out of virtual hearings takes place at a faster pace. Much more comfortable to sit at home and have the hearing via your computer/laptop.

• judy21
    Yeah I dread the thought was bad enough having the lady here saying I looked wel and not even tired which is strange as I hardly sleep and feel knackered all the time 
  • Yadnad
    edited December 2018
    I think the point Mike is that there is being judged and being judged!
    I would be a lovely experience if in the first instance, the application forms were made simpler and that the inexperienced benefit claimants could understand exactly how to fill them in. As you have said before, claimants should ignore the DWP notes and instructions. What then should they look at if not the instructions provided that they are clear and accurate.

Then comes the face to face assessment. Again it should be an experience much the same as going to see your GP or consultant. The claimant should be confident that the assessor would make the right call first time I'm not saying that they should agree with everything that a claimant says, but where there are differences the alternative view put forward should be fully justified evidentially so that the claimant can understand the report.

Then comes the decision maker making the decision. Again this should be based on all of the evidence. The decision should be fully justified so that the claimant can see how the decision was made.

All in all get these points right then the appeal rate would take a nose dive and claimants would be happier as they could understand more. 

• judy21
    My fave to face was awful I had a witness with me who was shocked at the report that came back important bits were missed bits were added that were untrue very disappointing and they should be able to judge some by your medical reports and details as the medical team can’t lie then maybe they wouldn’t have a huge back logo get some cases they may have to go out but when there are medical reports 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I had a face to face assessment a couple of years ago. My partner came with me and he also read the report that came in the mail afterwards. We were definitely not impressed by the inaccuracies in the report.
    So I ended up having a tribunal meeting to contest the decision. If there are any inaccuracies in the report do ask for a mandatory reconsideration immediately. 
    These people and assessments will be the death of me. I dream of the day we can conduct each assessment over Skype. 
  • judy21
    That’s what stage mine is at at the moment the mandatory reconsideration I have provided doctors letters photos surgeon report you anme it  someone I know had theirs done over the phone my lady might just aswell sat on my garden and wrote what ever she wanted eithozut even seeing me and it turns out although she told me she wasn’t medically trained she was a paramedic so she knows all I have gone through which kind of makes it worse
  • Yadnad
    edited December 2018
  • Yadnad
    edited December 2018
    Yadnad said:
    judy21 said:
    she was a paramedic so she knows all I have gone through which kind of makes it worse
    I wouldn't be too forgiving towards a paramedic or indeed any 'medically trained' assessor. I'm not saying that they don't do a good job in their own environment but putting them in something totally different is always going to be cause for issues.

For the life of me I don't really understand why they have this system.

I have had assessments for another disability based benefit, the latest being in 2011. It was carried out by a doctor appointed by the DWP, and there was no computer in sight. It was a written report based entirely on what I said and the evidence submitted. The reason for that claim was entirely down to Mental Health issues for which I have a lifetime award representing the loss of 40% of brain function

There had been no issues with this and every report received was factually correct - the doctor had added their own opinion to it!  All three PIP assessors reported that I did not have any mental health issues. And to top it off, the DWP decision maker agreed!

The DWP can't even agree amongst themselves. 

• judy21
    I’ve not long had breast cancer so it’s not something I can make up I have surgeons report oncologist and since chemo having so many on going problems again all medical
    reporys to show this 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.