ESA claim date! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA claim date!

Sunshine123
Sunshine123 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, I understand that the ESA benefit year starts on Sunday 6/1/19. Should my Dr's Medical  Certificate also be dated from 6/1/19? I am confused as Dr's normally only start a new cert on a weekday.
Should I ask my Dr to start my cert on Friday 4/1/19 or Monday 7/1/19, or will he date it from 6/1/19? I don't want to lose a week in my claim for the sake of 1 day, neither do I want to invalidate the claim due to my cert having a date in the previous benefit year.
Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A fit/sick note can't be dated for a future date. It's dated from when ever you start your claim. For example, if a person's claim starts on 29th December then that's when your fit note needs to be dated from.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @Sunshine123
    I would get your GP to date the fit note from the day the previous note ran out that way there are no missing dates on your claim.This is the usual procedure.
       Debsidoo.x
  • Sunshine123
    Sunshine123 Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.