ESA and permitted work whilst studying — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and permitted work whilst studying

seawitch31
seawitch31 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Really hoping I can get some advice about permitted work and being a student here! At the moment I am in receipt of income-based ESA (support group), PIP (standard daily living rate) and housing benefit. I am also a part-time student with the Open University - I have told the DWP that I am studying for 15 hours a week.

My first question is, is it possible to do permitted work whilst also being a part-time student? I cannot find any restrictions on this but just wanted to double-check that this wouldn't count as too many hours.

Secondly, what happens if you earn over the permitted work earnings limit of £125.50? I am thinking of applying for a job that is under 16 hours a week but with a high hourly rate of pay, meaning I'd earn over £125.50 every week. However, it is also only a temporary job that lasts three months. I understand I would lose my ESA entitlement for those three months, but would it also affect my housing benefit? And at the end of the three months, would I still technically be on ESA, as I have been working less than 16 hours each week? Or would I have to start a new claim of Universal Credit (I'm in a full-service area)?

Would appreciate any advice as I can't seem to find the answers to any of these questions online!

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @seawitch31

Good Evening and Welcome!!

It's great to meet you today.

I think that it is best for me to forward your post onto one of our "Benefit Advisors"

They would be best placed to answer it for you if you don't mind???

I am not too sure when they will be able to get back to you as it is "Holiday Time"

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo
    Can you please offer me some help with this tricky post???

Many thanks.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @seawitch31, and a warm welcome to the community! 

Thanks for sharing this with us: hopefully our experienced members and advisors will be in touch and able to offer some guidance with this.
  • seawitch31
    seawitch31 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    steve51 said:

I think that it is best for me to forward your post onto one of our "Benefit Advisors"

They would be best placed to answer it for you if you don't mind???

I am not too sure when they will be able to get back to you as it is "Holiday Time"

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo
    Can you please offer me some help with this tricky post???

Many thanks.
    Hi Steve,

That would be great, thank you!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi seawitch31,

Permitted work relates to hours in work so you will be ok to do under 16 hours a week. If you earn over the earnings limit though your ESA will stop. As you won't be getting any IR ESA the LA will have to do a means-tested assessment as to how much rent you will have to pay - you'll have to pay the whole amount if you earn sufficiently enough not to get any help. You'll be able to find a benefits calculator online if you want to put your expected income details in and find out where you stand. After the three months if your ESA has stopped you won't be able to make a new claim for ESA it'll have to be Universal Credit which will mean your HB will then stop as your rental costs will be paid through UC. All the best with whatever you decide to do.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.