Can a parent be my landlord — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can a parent be my landlord

howmuch
howmuch Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. I receive PIP benefits due to my neurological disorder and my partner is my carer. We also receive universal credit including the housing element.

my question is, can my parent be my landlord? I’ve discussed this matter with the CAB and they advised that a parent can be a landlord provided:
1) the landlord isn’t receiving an inflated rent. Ie. It’s not more than the market value
2) it is a genuine commercial arrangement. Ie if the tenant went behind with the rent then the landlord would evict the tenant.

both of these conditions are true. How do I inform the DWP? I’m becoming paranoid because I’m not certain that I ticked the correct box when I originally applied for universal credit.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you're not sure that you ticked the correct box when you first applied for UC then you really do need to ring DWP to tell them that you're renting from your parents.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Having prove that you are paying rent and having paying rent by being able to provide bank statements over months or years plus a rental agreement will and should be acceptable.
  • Poppy2012
    Poppy2012 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    when I asked the same question I was told that you cannot receive housing benefit if your landlord is a family member I was hoping to rent my sons house which he rents out as he lives with his girlfriend and at the time it was empty as his last renter had stopped paying him the rent I thought it would be a good place to rent as there is a huge shortfall of rentable property but the council moved me into a one bed bungalow which is at the top of the list of property required.

I wish you good luck with getting what you deserve.
    Regards Poppy Ann 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.