universal credit and fit notes - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

universal credit and fit notes

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,922 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP and DLA are different benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • amandabarnes1960
    amandabarnes1960 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    And I came on here for help advice and understand does it really matter.or are you just here to criticize and make someone already feeling low feel even worse.
  • poppy123456
    I don't see any criticizing. All i see is correcting what was wrong. If others see this and see someone saying there's lifetime awards for PIP when there isn't,  then they'll be asking questions. Having looked through the thread i don't see any specific questions from you. If you do have any questions then someone will be happy to answer them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @amandabarnes1960, how are you doing? I'm glad to see you've had some advice from experienced community members. Sometimes we can all misinterpret people's tone and intentions over an online forum, but do be assured we carefully safeguard discussions. 

If you feel a message violates our community guidelines, you can report it to us by clicking the 'flag' icon. You can also choose to 'ignore' the member in question. I hope this helps, and if you have any further queries, do let us know and we'll do our best to advise.  

It sounds like you're dealing with a lot at the moment. Do you have any practical support in place to help you?
  • amandabarnes1960
    amandabarnes1960 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
      I understand where they are coming from just another bad day and thank you for the reply I live on my own and have no support just endless job centre interference and the internet. I really can't think where I go from here. Anxiety and depression have taken hold of my life I spend days without even talking to anyone my family don't live close by and my husband left a few years ago because he couldn't deal with my health issues and my grandson who has autism.  I'm still waiting for my work coach to sort me out with a UC50 form "been asking him for months" he keeps telling me UC are really behind and its taking longer to sort everyone out. My last PIP interviewer told a lot of lies and my PIP was stopped I couldn't face going the appeal on my own with no support. Just need some support and advice.Thank you :
  • asipo20
    asipo20 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    @SugarCoated have you sorted it out job center? Im having samw problem with same illness condition
  • asipo20
    asipo20 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I have health condition and needs iam not suppose to work but they still making me go on so many progarammes i complained online still nothing
  • SpinalStenosis1985
    SpinalStenosis1985 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I'm on PIP and I still have to attend work search reviews at the job centre and look for work because and I quote "just because I am receiving PIP, doesn't mean that I cannot work"  I have been getting constant fit notes since November 2018 and I'm now on an indefinite fit note. However my job centre is less than useless and I'm pretty sure aren't doing things correctly. I hope you get it sorted 
  • adele93
    adele93 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    He just need some help i sufferer from epilepsy and depression and not able to work i have sick notes and just recived a questionnaire about my disabilty i currently get £515 a month for not being able to work my rent is £500 so i cant live on it. I was told i might be able to get extra money for my disabilty but anyone know how it works and how long it takes ? Im waiting on pip aswell but iv been told that takes some time. My first payment was today. Thankyou x
  • adj050223
    adj050223 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I’m sorry this isn’t a reply but as I’m new I’m confused on how to submit a new post so accept my apologies.             My son claimed universal credit last month, he had an advance & he is receiving a payment in 5 days. He just started a job with a zero hour contract. The uc want to know if he had breaks in employment within the last 12 (although he’s never claimed before & if he lived with a partner in this time) he hasn’t as he lives with me at home. Does anyone know what this is about?
    thanks 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I'm going back to see my GP on Monday - I have a meeting with my work coach - and she expects me to get a job waiting tables - I have 1 good arm and can not walk well. They told me when they said I was fit for work that I didn't need to put in any more fit notes BUT I need something to stop them from sanctioning me because, surprise surprise I can't do much work! 

I said to her the other day I can stand in a sling and use my right hand, OR I can stand up on my stick and bang a keyboard with my nose. that didn't go down well - but she just will not accept that I have to ,and in fact I am right now, use a speech t text program to type!

I'm happy to be paid to sit in an office and talk into a mic all day - I was a radio presenter for many years - but there's no such job, she's happy to send me texts saying I can go and serve sandwiches to toffs at the race course - when I say "and which hand shall I use between the weak one and the one holding me up right?: I get snubbed!

Sorry it's a rant and probably in the wrong thread but the PC is in charge on this one!
  • SpinalStenosis1985
    SpinalStenosis1985 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, 

According to my Jobcentre PIP only says you're disabled, it has no relevance on whether you can work or not. When I first signed up for Universal Misery I took in all my PIP paperwork and it was outright ignored because being disabled doesn't mean that you can't work, so I had to wait until my Work Capability Assessment to assess if I can work with my disability. The WCA was a farce and apparently I'm super-fit and can work all the hours god sends (I have a severe spinal condition which effects everything I do) so I'm taking that to a Tribunal. I would also suggest complaining about your work coach, as mine was similar to yours and made me feel like a liar, and had me leaving the Jobcentre in panic attacks I complained about it, and eventually I got a new work coach who is much better. Definitely apply for PIP and anything else you can but unless you pass a Work Capability Assessment then your deemed fit for work and can be sanctioned for anything. 
  • OutOfTheWorld99
    OutOfTheWorld99 Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    Hi SugarCoated,

I hope you have had some kind of intervention from your GP with regard to all this by now ?:

"has reduced my job search to 16 hours but I still need to be ready for interviews, workshops and work experiences."

The above is current proof of what a pathetic system is being run by the DWP and their lack of mentality, & compassion when dealing with people who have obvious health problems. Them being, mental or physical. Their arrogance has no bounds as there are regular reports in the media of how they think they know better than qualified doctors. Tribunal cases costing the taxpayer millions has proven time after time that they don't!

If you haven't got your MP involved with all this yet, I would. Particularly, if this nightmare is still ongoing for you. Phone your local Citizens Advice Bureau, if you feel you are not in the frame of mind to deal with this alone. And they will hopefully appoint someone for you. Also, tell them that due to the ill-treatment you have received from DWP/Job Centre, you wish to make a written formal complaint and follow their complaints procedures to a T.

I too suffer from long term anxiety and mental health. And as such, if they do play this game with me I will make sure they will also be inconvenienced as much as possible. MP's need to put their mouths where the money is, and start delivering on all the spin they were putting on mental health as it's more than apparent here they've done nothing to address this serious issue.

How or why they feel it's reasonable to travel or be stuck in a classroom doing irrelevant courses of which I've seen the lot, and effectively not worth toilet paper to any employers, I seriously don't know.
  • OutOfTheWorld99
    Hi SpinalStenosis1995,

Id like them to clarify exactly what type of work you can do. And then seek confirmation from an NHS Dr to confirm it and then send it back to these morons. If fully able-bodied people in good physical shape so to speak,[can't find appropriate work,]they have a hard job understanding that phrase. Then how, the hell do they expect others with genuine disabilities to just walk in and find a job, etc, etc. Beggars belief. It really does.

The very best of luck with your Tribunal case. I feel another win coming on. :)
  • OutOfTheWorld99
    edited July 2019
    Pcoventry,"I'm going back to see my GP on Monday - I have a meeting with my work coach - and she expects me to get a job waiting tables - I have 1 good arm and can not walk well."

Its an utter disgrace of a system. I would ask 'coach,' who do you sue :) if you happen to pour boiling hot coffee into someone's lap through no fault of your own. You've clearly explained your 'disability,' is this just temporary or are you likely to recover soon? Either way, they are choosing to ignore it. [They are putting you in a situation of risk to others].Seek advice.
  • wataguyiam
    wataguyiam Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    if anyone on here is on universal credit and they are receiving upto date sick notes (fitnote). Then there job coach should not be expecting them to do normal job search activities. That is exactly what I am doing at present, and iv been told there is a variation on this depending on your issuel, I would advise anyone that is struggling on U.C and they are getting sick notes then go and try to claim e.s.a.
  • poppy123456
    if anyone on here is on universal credit and they are receiving upto date sick notes (fitnote). Then there job coach should not be expecting them to do normal job search activities. That is exactly what I am doing at present, and iv been told there is a variation on this depending on your issuel, I would advise anyone that is struggling on U.C and they are getting sick notes then go and try to claim e.s.a.
    Hi,

Unfortunately a fit note doesn't automatically entitle anyone to limited capability for work. It's the work coaches discretion whether or not they turn off work searches and what is expected of you will depend on your claimant commitment.

Income related ESA no longer exists for new claims unless a claimant is claiming severe disability premium and once you claim UC you can't go back and claim Income Related ESA.
  • haggetts
    haggetts Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    hello
    ive been on UC since applying in feb and had to submit a 1 month fit note because it was causing my anxiety to get worse. had my meeting with work coach and she reduced work search to 16 hours per week, i contatcted her via my UC account that i was having trouble due to my HS (Hidradenitis suppurativa) flare ups and being in constant pain. i get regular flare ups close to my periods and when im stressed out. so pretty much every few weeks. she suggested referring me to the scope provision for a 8 weeks. my condition is such that i avoid meeting people unless nessassry. i dont visit family for months. only people i will see are my mom or gp. or just my children and husband that live with me.
    last meeting i had with her she was very harsh to me regarding my illness which is a chronic skin condition which has no cure. i told her i get regular flare ups and the medication doesnt work. she was rude and said diidnt i think it was time to change my medication. i went to see my gp yesterday and told him i wanted to be referred back to the dermatologist but he told me what ive known for years that this condition doesnt have a cure and medication wasnt going to help. he was also really angry at my work coach and said who made her an expert on illness, he also pointed out we dont go to the job centre to tell them how they should do thwir job. he gave me another fit note for 5 weeks also a leaflet to contact insight health care regarding my deppression and anxiety, hes been very understanding and spent quiet some time reassuring me to ignore her remarks. i feel like my work coach is bullying me into doing things. we only made our uc in feb 2018 and already shes tried setting up voluntary work, interview skills, and now asking me to try the scope thing, i dont feel comfortable around people all i do is think negative and end up having a anxiery attack or panic attack. i cant travel to far as i get scared even a 20 min car journey has me panicking and thinking im about to die thats with my partner in the car and my children, 
    i dont know how they expect me to travel on buses alone. im so scared ive not been sleeping at night.
    can they sanction me if i can'n physically make myself go on this scope course? stop my payments? really been struggling since husband lost his job last year.
    sorry about such a long post and the waffling im nervous i guess,
    thank you for reading the post

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.