Confused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused

beckbail
beckbail Community member Posts: 37 Connected
Hi I'm new here and I hope someone can give me some advice. I received a letter just before xmas to fill in stating that i could be due a back payment for ESA due to the IB migration this is from 2012 to 2016. To be honest I cant remember which group I was in as back then I had severe mental health problems I do know that I didn't have to go to any work focused interviews until 2016 so does that mean before then I was in the support group. I do know I had to go to the assessment interviews a couple of times and to be honest they didn't listen to what I said in these and basically said I was fit for work however i appealed and won all cases so was just put back on my ESA as i was normally. I'm not longer on any esa as I came through the other side and felt much better by the end of 2016

Comments

• beckbail
    If I remember rightly my payments were £110 weekly so around about £220 fortnightly 
  • beckbail
    Also to add to this back then I had no savings no other income and I lived with my parents until Feb 2017 then I moved in with my partner and all benefits stopped 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They are in the process of contacting everyone that transferred from IB to ESA. Any transitional support protection you were claim at the time will be take from the income related top up you maybe entitled to. The Enhanced disability premium is £16.40 per week as from April 2018 but it would have been less in previous years.

No one on an internet forum can tell you if they owe you any backdated money but you'll be assessed once you return the form. It can take 12 weeks for a decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • beckbail
     Hi poppy

Thank you for your reply I'm just confused by it all as I'm unsure what group I was in. To you does this sound like i was in the support group with not having to go to work focused interviews for 4 years. I just find the whole ESA confusing 
  • poppy123456
    Yes that would have most likely been the Support Group, however the support group amount from April 2018 for contributions based ESA is £110.75 per week. It would have been less than that when you claimed. As i advised, only DWP can give you a definite answer by assessing you. If you're owed any money it will be backdated.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • beckbail
    Thank you poppy this does make a lot more sense to me now it was about £107 per week back then. So is that also with the enhanced premium on or would that have been added to it 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    Contributions based ESA isn't means tested and when you moved in with your partner it shouldn't have stopped, unless you were found fit for work. A partner working won't affect contributions based ESA.

You really do need to wait for DWP to make a decision because it's impossible to give a definite answer on an internet forum.
  • beckbail
    Yeah that's the best thing to do. I was never on ESA when I moved in with my partner as at this stage I wasn't on ESA as I was found fit for work but when I was on ESA I lived with my parents. Thanks for your advice on this matter my minds  little more clear now

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.