DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP

KG100
KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
I'm still on DLA and was wondering if anyone knows when we'll be changing over to PIP.
It seems to be a never ending wait, I've been on DLA for several years now. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You're not the only person still waiting to be invited to apply, it could be anytime. The good news is that you'll continue to receive your DLA in the meantime.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KG100
    Thanks for replying poppy, I think I was first told in 2015 that I'd be invited to apply for PIP soon !!
    But as you said, it's good to still be getting the DLA for now. 

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Enjoy your DLA benefits because when you are invited to claim PIP make sure you can give examples of how your conditions impact on your life in reference to the PIP descriptors. 
  • KG100
    Yes, certainly not looking forward to having to claim for PIP but I suppose it's going to have to happen sooner or later. I'll make sure someone helps me to fill it in when the time comes. 
  • poppy123456
    You'll also need to make sure that you send evidence to support your claim, they rarely contact anyone for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • KG100
    Luckily I did this for my last claim for ESA and wasn't called for a medical or face to face interview.
    It pays to keep all your hospital letters and notes.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    KG100 said:
    Luckily I did this for my last claim for ESA and wasn't called for a medical or face to face interview.
    It pays to keep all your hospital letters and notes.
    Unfortunately they would not by themselves be enough for PIP. The DWP are not interested in what your illness is, how long you have had it etc.

For PIP they are only interested in the proof of what the impact has on your life that fits exactly one of the descriptors and that you gain a minimum of 8 points to get the standard award.

• maya605
    maya605 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    Hi I’m really anxious. I had my f2f pip on Tuesday and today I received a txt saying DWP had received assessment. 48 hours seems very fast. Also my f2f only took 20 mins which feels quick. I’m so anxious about it all 
  • poppy123456
    maya605 said:
    Hi I’m really anxious. I had my f2f pip on Tuesday and today I received a txt saying DWP had received assessment. 48 hours seems very fast. Also my f2f only took 20 mins which feels quick. I’m so anxious about it all 
    This doesn't mean anything at all. Sometimes reports are returned to DWP the same day as the assessment took place. I've also had assessments that were very short. My shortest was 10 minutes, my longest more than 1 hour. Means nothing at all. My claims have all been successful.

Ring DWP and ask for a copy of the report to be sent to you, if you live in the UK. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the report.
  • maya605
    Thank You Poppy, I’m new to pip. In my info leaflet it says I can’t request a copy until a decision has been made. Good to know that other people have had quick f2f assessments. 
  • poppy123456
    That's not true, if you live in the UK you can receive a copy before the decision is made. I've received copies of all my assessments before a decision's been made and so has many other people.
  • Yadnad
    maya605 said:
    Thank You Poppy, I’m new to pip. In my info leaflet it says I can’t request a copy until a decision has been made. Good to know that other people have had quick f2f assessments. 
    That's quite correct. The decision in sending out a copy early is entirely down to the DWP. They can refuse (as per the leaflet) but some will ignore that instruction and send it out regardless.
    It's their choice not your entitlement.

• maya605
    I received a copy of my f2f assessment today. Reading it and checking points scored. I have scored 8 pts. Also the assessor wrote that it would be appropriate to review the claim in 18 months. Does this sound positive? Obviously got to wait for DWP decision. Feel extremely anxious. 
  • chiz
    chiz Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Hi @KG100 iv just read there delaying alot of dla to pip assessments until 2020 and 2021 as theyve had to take extra staff to do the reviews already been done , its just come up on my news 
    Ellen x
  • poppy123456
    maya605 said:
    I received a copy of my f2f assessment today. Reading it and checking points scored. I have scored 8 pts. Also the assessor wrote that it would be appropriate to review the claim in 18 months. Does this sound positive? Obviously got to wait for DWP decision. Feel extremely anxious. 
    There's 2 parts to PIP, daily living and mobility but you don't add the 2 of these together. If you've added them correctly then that would suggest standard award because you need at least 8 points for this. They mostly go with the report, it's rare to go against it but it can happen. You'll still need to wait for the decision.
  • KG100
    Thanks for the info chiz, I really do wonder if I'll still be around when they finally get to me !!

• Yadnad
    chiz said:
    Hi @KG100 iv just read there delaying alot of dla to pip assessments until 2020 and 2021 as theyve had to take extra staff to do the reviews already been done , its just come up on my news 
    Ellen x
    If that is the case then it is totally unfair on those that had to go through the transition in 2013 who weren't 65 only to end up with no award. At least if I had to go through it in 2021 I will be 73 and would have had my DLA High Care & Mobility for the intervening 9 years!!
  • sugarmag375
    sugarmag375 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    What happens if you get to be on pensionable age before you're 'invited to apply' for PIP, does your DLA just stop and also do you have to pay car tax or does your exemption still last?
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    What happens if you get to be on pensionable age before you're 'invited to apply' for PIP, does your DLA just stop and also do you have to pay car tax or does your exemption still last?
    Your DLA continues and you'll eventually be invited to apply for PIP. There's still a lot of people waiting to be invited. Nothing changes with your road tax either.
  • maya605
    hi all, 
    after my f2f my doctor has put me on 15mg mirtazapine to take alongside my 200mg sertraline. The HP wrote in my assessment about the sertraline but obviously the 15mg was prescribed after f2f. Should I ring DWP to inform them of the added meds or wait for the decision? Any advice? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.