ESA change of address situation — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA change of address situation

confused66
confused66 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I moved in with my partner last September and only lived with him for a short period as I had to return to my home town which was along way from him, because a family matter occurred. I received a new esa3 form which I filled in as a single person but used his postcode as I am still of no fixed abode. They called and said they had a problem and that as I was using his postcode. I seemed advice and was told to use a postcode in my home town as I was residing there which I did do. I still visit his house and am still under consultant for an operation in his area because of the waiting list. So the esa demanded other information which I supplied each time I get a call they move the goal posts for something else. Now it has gone to a decision maker as they don't believe I have moved at all. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @confused66

Good Evening & Welcome ??

I’m very very sorry ? to hear ? about your (esa)

I am one off the Community Champion’s here.

I would like to try to offer you some help/support with things if required????

@steve51
  • confused66
    Good evening @steve51 thank u for ur reply and ur help with this situation was be very much appreciated
  • confused66
    My last payment was before xmas and now the decision has gone to a decision maker in ur opinion how do u think I stand ? It just seems as if they are now dictating to me if I can visit? Also as I said I have an appointment with a surgeon in my partners area bout arranging a date for my  operation I am worried should I cancel this appointment as I will have to stay over at his house. This situation is making me poorly if u cud help I wud be eternally grateful.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,341 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I think the problem here is that you used to be a couple and claimed ESA as a couple. You moved out and then claimed as a single person but you continued to use their address. Now they're questioning whether you're still a couple. This is far too complicated for an internet forum and i'd advise you to get expert advice and contact your local welfare rights or law centre.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • confused66
    Just to add thou wen we did live together we did not claim any other benefits like housing or council tax? 
  • confused66
    What do u think wud be the worse case scenario.? 
  • confused66
    I am so stressed over this situation. It's making me poorly. After I seeked professional advice to use my c/o address back home I explained that I am of no fixed abode still at the moment. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,341 Disability Gamechanger
    Using the address where you used to live with your partner will have caused the problem, as i advised.

I really can't advise on the worst case scenario i'm afraid. You'll need to wait for DWP to make a decision and go from there, if it's not what you were expecting.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • confused66
    Ok poppy123456. Thank u anyways. Take care.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.