Joint claim for ESA, what will happen after pension? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Joint claim for ESA, what will happen after pension?

gonetodogs
gonetodogs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am a 58year old man on essa support group & claim for my partner who gets pip, my partner gets her pension in march. What will happen to the joint claim for essa.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gonetodogs, welcome to the community!

I'm afraid I'm unsure of the answer to this myself, but we have some really knowledgeable members and advisors who will hopefully be in touch soon and able to advise. In the meantime, PensionWise is a great website with information on how pensions affect benefits.
  • gonetodogs
    gonetodogs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gonetodogs
    I have passed your post onto our benefits advisors and so I hope we have some answers for you soon :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello gonetodogs

What happens may not be straightforward as it will depend on whether you receive contributory based ESA and income related ESA or just income related ESA. 

The difference between these 2 types of ESA is:
    - contributory based ESA, is paid if a person has paid sufficient national insurance contributions and is a non-means tested benefit, that is your partners income will not effect your entitlement.
    - income related ESA, is means tested and thus your partners income will effect your joint couple entitlement. That is, your partners retirement pension will be counted in full as income. So, if she receives for example £63 a week pension then you may find your ESA reduces by £63.

If you are unsure if you receive just one type of ESA or both then you can contact ESA by phone and ask them. 

When you say that your partner will get her retirement pension, do you mean her state pension as she has reached retirement age or do you mean a works pension? I ask as ESA amounts increase if one member of a couple is aged 60 or over.  

In addition, I cannot see any mention of you claiming carers allowance for your partner, and you may be missing out on additional money if your partner receives daily living of PIP.  

I have put a link below to a benefit called carers allowance that although classed as income for ESA purposes may still mean that you are better off (via  a carers premium of ESA).  It maybe worth posting on this issue again if you are unsure. 

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/carers-allowance 

In addition there are online benefit calculators that maybe able to help you calculate how much your ESA changes once your partner receives her pension.  I have put a link below for the benefit calculators:

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

It is also worth mentioning that ESA may not know that about the payment of any pensions so you will have to notify them of any changes in your household income. 

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.