Today was my assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Today was my assessment

laceypeach
laceypeach Community member Posts: 35 Connected
Hello everyone,
I recently wrote on here about how anxious I was about my upcoming f2f assessment and I asked for advice regarding a diary. Anyway, so today was the day. I had only slept for 4 hours last night and was unable to take any pain meds before assessment as I was driving there. Long story short is, I forgot the diary!! Was 10mins late and completely flustered and in pain. You go into a big room with seats and once checking into reception you wait. I  was seen by a really nice lady, and to be honest it felt at points like an informal chat about my daily life. I  think the point I am trying to make is that it was no way near as bad as I thought it would be. So anyone who is waiting for their assessment please please do not worry the staff and everyone whom I interacted with today was professional and accommodating. 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing your experience, many new claiments will be put at ease knowing what you have said, it's the acessment part that causes people stress and anxiety.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello everyone,
    I recently wrote on here about how anxious I was about my upcoming f2f assessment and I asked for advice regarding a diary. Anyway, so today was the day. I had only slept for 4 hours last night and was unable to take any pain meds before assessment as I was driving there. Long story short is, I forgot the diary!! Was 10mins late and completely flustered and in pain. You go into a big room with seats and once checking into reception you wait. I  was seen by a really nice lady, and to be honest it felt at points like an informal chat about my daily life. I  think the point I am trying to make is that it was no way near as bad as I thought it would be. So anyone who is waiting for their assessment please please do not worry the staff and everyone whom I interacted with today was professional and accommodating. 

When talking to these assessors you should not really take them at face value with the questions they ask.
    Each question may appear to be 'a general chat' but unfortunately there are a lot of hidden factors as to why they ask the questions. Be extremely careful how you answer these questions. If you start of with ' yes of course I could do that but what you have to remember is that after a few minutes...…...' 
    Some assessors will hear the word yes and switch off to your explanation given afterwards. Everything is not what it seems.
  • laceypeach
    laceypeach Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    I understand that and am fully aware of how things can be taken differently. Even so I just think it is important for people to know that it really is not as bad as you may think. I left my f2f feeling hopeful and there really was nothing more I could of said or done. I now feel that if I do not get the right award that I have the strenghth to take it further if needs be. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.