Pips for anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pips for anxiety

Options
Marial
Marial Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi just wondering is it possible to get pips for anxiety it has changed my life from I have taken generalised anxiety disorder have been trying to fill in pips form this is my second time first I didn't manage to fill it in due to my anxiety x

Comments

• michfinch
    michfinch Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there, I have Epilepsy, memory loss and Depression. I have had to re-apply, as I was turned down first time. I think you have to try harder with a mental disability rather than a physical disability......
  • Marial
    Options
    Thank u for replying it's awful I'm really struggling to fill in my form because of my anxiety, mental disability should be taken into account and they should be trained which they aren't. I can eat, drink get myself dressed physically but on a really bad day which is 5-6 out of 7 days I don't even  manage to brush my hair mentally I just wanna stay in bed away front he world ..
  • michfinch
    michfinch Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,066 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Lots of people claim PIP for invisible conditions, my daughter included and she claims Enhanced for both parts.

When filling out the form you need to put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity. Send relevant evidence with the form to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Expect a face to face assessment as most people have them, it's rare to have a paper based assessment.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Marial
    Options
  • geeforce
    geeforce Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    Hi there I’m thinking of claiming pip I’m suffering from depression anxixtey and post traumatic stress disorder and with my mental state I’m not taking my insulin for my diabetes 
    my wife has to stand there while I take my 2 injections every day otherwise I will not take them because I feel so low and don’t see the point in caring on 
  • Marial
    Options
    It's so hard to fill the forms in when it's a mental disability I have filled in pips forms in for people but it was so much easier when they have a physical disability I'm just so anxious. U should try for it they can only say no worth a try, due to anxiety and ptsd u my be eligible for a home f2f depending on what area u r in ..
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    michfinch said:
    Hi there, I have Epilepsy, memory loss and Depression. I have had to re-apply, as I was turned down first time. I think you have to try harder with a mental disability rather than a physical disability......
    Commonly posters say that for PIP the diagnosis of a mental health condition is not relevant, it's the consequences of it and impact on your life matching the descriptors.

The problem sometimes is that the assessor and then the DWP don't actually accept that the condition exists. So without acceptance of a condition, how can the claim for it's consequences succeed?

I tried in my first PIP claim when moving from DLA back in 2013 to explain what was wrong, why and what happened, who was treating me and how it affected my life along the lines of the various descriptors.
    The assessor stated that as I had 'failed' the 14 mental health tests that she had carried out I did not have a mental health issue.

Consequently I then had to prove that the condition actually existed BEFORE the consequences of it could be looked at.

• Marial
    Options
    Just an update they recieve my form on the 8th February had my face 2 face on Monday so was really quick the assessor seemed nice and I was able to get my condition across I much as I possibly could I'm just hoping the assessor was genuine as I am aware a lot of them aren't , she did say she could physically see I had bad anxiety ??? I get a good result xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.