My partner only works 16 hours, why am i not entitiled to (IR) ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My partner only works 16 hours, why am i not entitiled to (IR) ESA?

steesa
steesa Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi I've received a letter back from hackney ibr, post code wv98 2dy regarding the esa50ibr form I sent off around 9 weeks ago as I was placed on contribution eesa back in 23013 transitioned over from incapacity the letter says I am not entitled to esa(ir) as' my partners part time earnings exceed' ! does anyone know what this means as my partner only works 16hrs, I have looked into this and it says if your partner works for more than 24 hours you wont be entitled so I am very confused as my partner only works 16hours a week,please I need help

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

This is because any earnings your partner receives that are over £20 per week will reduce any income related top up £1 for £1. As the Income related top up is £16.40 per week, from April 2018 it means this will be reduced to zero because of your partners earning.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steesa
    steesa Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thanks, do you know if working tax credit is counted as an income.

• poppy123456
    Yes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    To claim a means tested benefit then you need to claim as a couple and your partners income is taken into consideration.

As your partner is working 16 hours per week, national minimum wage is £7.38 an hour for those aged 21 and over. 16 x 7.38 = £118.08. If you claimed ESA as a couple then the first £20 per week of this income is disregarded. This means that £98.08 per week would be counted as income when claiming the Income related top up. As previously advised because the income related top up is £16.40 per week then this is reduced to zero because of his income. Meaning you're not entitled to any Income related top up.

Luckily you're claiming contributions based ESA which isn't affected by his income and you get to keep all of the £110.75 per week. Otherwise you wouldn't be entitled to as much as that. Hope this helps.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.